Put your passion and skills to work for the planet. Climate change is the most urgent issue of our time, and we need people like you to help us build a vital Earth — for everyone.
We’re Environmental Defense Fund, a fast-paced nonprofit with a growing staff of more than 1,000 people in nearly 30 countries. We deliver game-changing solutions that cut climate pollution and strengthen people’s ability to thrive despite the effects climate change is already having. We work wherever we can have the most impact, from local communities to top companies to governments worldwide, and even in space.
Our culture, values and commitment to diversity make EDF an exciting and meaningful place to work. Every job here makes a difference. Won’t you join us?
Locations: Washington D.C., any EDF US office or Remote (U.S)
EDF’s Climate Resilient Fisheries & Oceans team is working to safeguard the oceans and protect nature while feeding the planet, creating more secure livelihoods, and bolstering more equitable societies for human well-being. One of the greatest threats to the oceans is overfishing, which is why our dedicated team of scientists, economists, and fishery management experts are collaborating with partners around the globe to make sustainable fishing the norm. Through our work in the U.S., Latin America, and Asia Pacific, we draw on strong science and economic principles to advance sustainable fishing practices, forward-looking policies and innovative tools that support the health of our oceans and the people who depend on them.
The Senior Communications Manager, will spearhead national and regional outreach campaigns that will deploy paid, owned, earned and digital channels as well as leading-edge stakeholder engagement tools to reach target audiences. Reporting to the Director of Communications for the Fisheries and Oceans Program, the Senior Communications Manager will be responsible for guiding campaign strategy, developing compelling messages and content, ensuring message discipline across the campaign team, managing and outside vendors and communications staff, and providing strong analytical results reporting.
- Develops and oversees communications campaigns focused on climate-resilient fisheries and oceans issues
- Coordinates all communications aspects of the campaigns and ensures alignment with internal and external stakeholders
- Writes, edits and distributes a broad range of communications materials including news releases, social media posts, editorial pitches, presentations and op-eds under deadline pressure
- Provides expert management of all vendors, including advertising and PR agencies, stakeholder engagement firms, and media buyers
- Ensures message discipline across the entire campaign and acts quickly and decisively to address any discrepancies
- Tracks results and provides real-time analytics to ensure target goals are being met
- Helps manage a portfolio of diverse partner organizations, which includes cultivating, informing, and engaging a network of local and national partners through a variety of channels
- Creates and implements proactive media outreach, including monitoring and facilitating media response to breaking news and political/legislative events
- Analyzes media landscape and advises on media relations strategies that will create the biggest impact on targeted audiences
- Develops and executes digital and social media strategies, including online editorial outreach, SEO, SEM, advertising and issue advocacy
- Develops news stories on a systematic basis for feature coverage
- Maintains media contact lists and maintains regular contact and strong relationships with targeted reporters
- Management of other Fisheries and Oceans communications staff
- Helps to prepare program staff with training and advice for media opportunities
- B.A. Public Relations, Journalism, Communications, or similar field required. Master’s degree is a plus
- A minimum of eight years’ relevant experience, political campaign or PR/Ad agency experience required
- Background in ocean and/or conservation issues preferred. Familiarity with aquaculture is a plus
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Thorough understanding of the advocacy communications landscape and the various tools necessary to reach a diverse set of audiences
- Experience in issue advocacy or political campaign settings and corresponding track record of delivering superior campaign or advocacy communications results
- Excellent understanding of the legislative and regulatory process
- Strong experience managing external vendors and ensuring accountability across a wide range of outputs
- Superior creative and opportunistic media outreach abilities
- Track record of producing national and regional media coverage
- Experience working in coalitions, including coordinating communications with other organizations, preferred
- Excellent organizational skills, including the ability to handle and prioritize multiple tasks and meet deadlines
- Good strategic public relations, political and media judgment
- Able to adapt to frequent change and prioritize effectively under frequent deadline pressure
- Demonstrates self-awareness, cultural competency and inclusivity, and ability to work with colleagues and stakeholders across diverse cultures and backgrounds.
We offer a strong total rewards package encompassing competitive salary, robust benefits, and professional development opportunities consistent with a modern global organization.
The pay range for this role is 97,000 - 106,000 USD which takes into account factors such as candidate experience, skills, training, internal team equity and local norms.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.Apply