Senior Cloud Engineer – MethaneSAT, LLC
MethaneSAT, LLC, an affiliate of Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is launching a new, high performance, purpose-built satellite—MethaneSAT—to map and measure oil and gas methane emissions worldwide, with the potential to assess emissions from the full range of man-made sources. The satellite will enable us to gather methane emissions data on a global scale and with data from other sources, locate and quantify these emissions. Data from MethaneSAT will help EDF reduce methane emissions by 45% by 2025 and holds the potential to help reduce the temperature of our planet by as much 0.5 degrees C by the end of the century. This could be the most impactful environmental project yet conceived.
As a Senior Cloud Engineer on our team, you’ll work with fellow engineers, partners and stakeholders to design, automate and manage application deployments in our Mission Operations, Processing Pipeline, and Global Web Tier infrastructure. You will strive to understand user needs and engineering requirements, and utilize your expertise with Terraform, Linux, and Cloud infrastructure to design solutions that provide impact worldwide.
You will accomplish the above in deep collaboration with Lead Cloud Engineer and our Platform Lead. Together, you will design and deploy these architectures, including environments for development, staging, and production. Furthermore, you’ll be responsible for designing and implementing complex systems such CI/CD workflows, secrets management, and systems for logging and observability. You won’t be able to “throw tools and money at the problem”, as we are extremely cost conscious. You will be given the freedom and responsibility to engineer and implement robust, efficient solutions that truly meet the needs of our mission. Finally, you’ll also be a significant contributor in the overall design, maintenance, and expansion of our developer infrastructure, which includes both staff and external partners.
The Senior Cloud Engineer will report directly to the Sr. Engineering Director, Data Products for MethaneSAT, LLC, and will work closely with other MethaneSAT, LLC staff, key contractors, and EDF staff.
- Lead the design and development of key deployment procedures for MethaneSAT Data Platform infrastructure with Terraform and other tools, as appropriate, in our cloud environment.
- Design robust, scalable cloud infrastructure, utilizing both cloud-native services and purpose-built components, gathering requirements from both our stakeholders and your fellow engineers.
- Create tools and documentation to make development easier for the team, our stakeholders, and external partner organizations
- Design, build, maintain, and troubleshoot our development, staging and build environments.
- Develop on-call procedures and playbooks and tools. Share on-call rotation with your fellow engineering team members.
- Explore, prototype, and recommend related initiatives such as metrics, logging and load testing.
- Navigate differing needs and priorities effectively, leveraging experience and technical skills to build and execute against detailed roadmap and engineering plan-of-record.
- Participates in advancing EDF DEI goals in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected, included, and empowered to address the environmental and organizational challenges in alignment with EDF values.
- Bachelor’s degree in a science or technical discipline preferred, or equivalent experience required plus 8 years professional experience.
- Must be a US person (citizen, green card holder); MethaneSAT, LLC is unable to offer employer-based sponsorship for this role at this time
- 3 to 5 years professional engineering experience working with cloud solutions in a DevOps, SRE (Site Reliability Engineering), or platform engineering capacity, with demonstrated progressive responsibility and scope.
- Professional, production experience deploying and managing cloud infrastructure required. Experience with managed Kubernetes (EKS, GKE, etc) strongly preferred.
- Extensive professional experience writing custom Terraform code and leveraging established 3rd party modules.
- Demonstrated ability to ramp up on existing infrastructure and own infrastructure deployment.
- Extensive experience using Git for source code management and Docker for containerization.
- Experience with CI/CD using GitHub Actions or equivalent.
- Extensive Linux command line experience for debugging and server administration required.
- Scripting in Bash and familiarity writing and modifying Python code is required.
- Basic networking experience required (e.g. subnets, NAT, firewall rules) required. More advanced networking experience (e.g. site-to-site VPN w/BGP) preferred.
- Ability to apply communication skills to convey ideas, results and lead others.
- Ability to translate complex technical information to non-technical stakeholders.
- Demonstrated ability to strategically and independently recommend and determine approaches to completing projects and managing processes where precedents are not available;
- Ability to lead and collaborate with colleagues and partners of varied backgrounds and experience;
- Strong ability to work independently on a multi-disciplinary team, using independent judgment required to plan, prioritize, and organize diversified workload;
- Affinity for a fast-paced work environment;
- Demonstrated experience leading and collaborating with colleagues and partners of varied backgrounds and experience; experience with global stakeholders preferred.
- Demonstrates self-awareness, cultural competency and inclusivity, and ability to work with colleagues and stakeholders across diverse cultures and backgrounds.
Please include a cover letter with your submission.
Due to the volume of employment applications and queries received, MethaneSAT, LLC is unable to respond to each application individually. Applicants will be contacted directly if selected as a candidate.
MethaneSAT, LLC is an Equal Opportunity Employer
We offer a strong total rewards package encompassing competitive salary, robust benefits, and professional development opportunities consistent with a modern global organization. We take into account factors such as candidate experience, skills, training, internal team equity and local norms.
Please note that pay ranges are country specific. As a result, the stated currency is not meant be converted into any other currency.
Put your passion and skills to work for the planet. Climate change is the most urgent issue of our time, and we need people like you to help us build a vital Earth — for everyone.
We’re Environmental Defense Fund, a fast-paced nonprofit with a growing staff of more than 1,000 people in nearly 30 countries. We deliver game-changing solutions that cut climate pollution and strengthen people’s ability to thrive despite the effects climate change is already having. We work wherever we can have the most impact, from local communities to top companies to governments worldwide, and even in space.