With world attention on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. By focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches, we tackle urgent threats with practical solutions. We are one of the world’s largest environmental organizations, with more than two million members and a staff of approximately 630 scientists, economists, policy experts, and other professionals around the world. We operate in 22 geographies with unique projects running across four programs. You will be part of a vibrant workplace that welcomes diverse perspectives, talents and contributions, where innovation and results are a way of life.
EDF’s Oil & Gas Program is focused on finding, quantifying, and reducing the environmental and health risks of oil and gas development, and catalyzing ground-breaking scientific studies for sensible policy action. EDF has set an ambitious goal to achieve a 45% cut in global methane pollution by 2025 — in an effort to cut the warming expected over the next 20 years by the same amount as closing one third of the world’s coal-fired power plants. EDF also works to protect communities, water supplies, and land resources from the impacts of oil and gas development to achieve win-win for public health and the environment. Building on the successful strategy in North America, EDF is now turning our attention to other regions of the world including China, an increasingly major player in global oil and gas market.
The Senior China Policy Manager, Oil and Gas will play a key role in developing and executing EDF’s strategy for reducing methane emissions from China’s oil and gas development and investment, and in working with EDF oil and gas land and water experts to disseminate information on ways to reduce impacts on water, land and communities. The Senior China Policy Manager, Oil and Gas will lead strategic relationship building and management, advocate and facilitate the adoption and implementation of sound oil and gas methane and environmental policies, regulations, and best practices by Chinese government and major industry players.
This position will work in close coordination with EDF science, industry engagement, communications, and policy/technical teams in both the U.S. and China to contribute to EDF’s global methane and environmental goals. This position will directly report to EDF’s Oil and Gas Program’s Director of International Policy and Legal Affairs in the U.S. with a close working relationship with EDF’s China Chief Representative in Beijing. Ideal candidates will have a proven track record strategizing and implementing policy advocacy/regulatory initiatives, strong political and cultural sensitivities, deep knowledge of oil and gas/energy/environmental issues and China political system, strong communication and relationship management skills, high degree of comfort with scientific and technical content; and ability to work effectively in a matrix organization.
- Lead and coordinate the development of EDF’s strategies in China to reduce methane emissions from oil and gas development; and lead EDF’s efforts to manage and implement that strategy.
- Assist in developing and disseminating information on ways to reduce impacts on water, land and communities, and in cultivating relationships with Chinese researchers involved in produced water science.
- Analyze and monitor the progress of relevant rules or laws related to China’s climate commitment, environmental protection (air, land and water), energy, in particular the role of natural gas in China’s transition towards a low-carbon future.
- Analyze and monitor the role of natural gas in China’s global strategy such as the Belt and Road Initiative; track development and implementation effectiveness of related financial mechanisms and green investment standards.
- Represent EDF, as appropriate, in front of policy-makers, regulators or other key thought leaders; participate in coalitions, stakeholder meetings or other relevant external forums.
- Develop and manage strategic partnerships and engagements with key government agencies, industry players, and policy think-tanks in the energy/oil and gas/environmental sectors to ensure that smart and effective oil and gas methane regulations and best practices are developed and implemented throughout oil and gas supply chain.
- Work in close collaboration with stakeholders within EDF, including the Beijing office, science, policy and communications teams to execute strategy.
- Develop and manage relationships among external partners, including government officials, oil and gas companies, technology providers and scientists, and consultants, with the goal ensuring that project results are scientifically and technically rigorous, solution-oriented, actionable and timely.
- Manage the necessary budget, and contribute to EDF Oil & Gas fundraising efforts.
- Undertake and complete special projects as assigned by senior leadership.
We are seeking a seasoned manager with a deep understanding of oil and gas regulatory policy, strong policy skills and a proven background of effective advocacy around complex technical issues. Qualifications for this position include:
- Minimum eight years’ experience in the corporate, public, consulting, academic or non-profit sectors, including demonstrated ability to understand oil and gas operations and emissions/environmental management, managing complex projects and working with external partners to achieve program goals.
- Previous regulatory and policy experience working on China’s oil and gas issues is strongly preferred.
- Experience with China’s environmental/energy regulatory policy and processes required.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, particularly the ability to translate highly technical/scientific information for non-experts. A writing sample and/or sample work product will be required as part of the interview process.
- Ability to work with colleagues and partners of varied backgrounds and experience.
- Exceptional organizational skills and attention to detail.
- An ability to work both independently and as part of a team in a fast-paced, dynamic, and entrepreneurial environment.
- Ability to travel and work across different time zones.
- Fluency (reading, writing and speaking) in English and Mandarin Chinese required.
Please submit resume, cover letter and writing samples to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.Apply