With world attention on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. By focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches, we tackle urgent threats with practical solutions. We are one of the world’s largest environmental organizations, with more than two million members and a staff of approximately 700 scientists, economists, policy experts, and other professionals around the world. We operate in 22 geographies with unique projects running across four programs. You will be part of a vibrant workplace that welcomes diverse perspectives, talents and contributions, where innovation and results are a way of life.
EDF envisions a world in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected to the environmental challenges we face and are engaged in creating durable, equitable solutions. We seek talented candidates who share the Core Values that allow us to experiment courageously in our work while staying true to who we’ve been as an organization for 50 years. Are you a results oriented individual who is passionate about creating environmental solutions that make a lasting difference in the world? Do you respect diverse perspectives, talents and contributions? Do you value innovation and enjoy designing and using a wide range of problem-solving tools? Do you embrace environmental goals with a sense of optimism while taking into account real-world dynamics? If you have integrity and a strong desire to uphold a commitment to science, rigorous analysis, intellectual honesty and ethical action, then EDF is the place for you.
- Leading the development and implementation of EDF’s legal strategy for strong Lautenberg Chemical Safety Act implementation.
- Leading the development of briefs, motions and other litigation documents.
- Preparing detailed legal and policy comments in response to regulatory proposals.
- Preparing administrative petitions and other formal administrative requests.
- Analyzing key legal authorities and developing legal memoranda in support of strategic decision making.
- Coordinating program legal issues and actions with organizational legal issues.
- Interpreting key court decisions.
- Developing reports and white papers to influence decision-makers and engage in public education and outreach.
- Advocating before federal and state policy-makers.
- Maintaining strong relationships with public health, environmental, labor, and academic allies.
- Identifying, advising and mentoring legal interns.
- Professionally representing EDF and the Health program at various important internal and external events.
- Responding to emerging organizational priorities as appropriate.
- Law degree.
- Active Bar membership.
- More than 5 years working experience in litigation and administrative law.
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to manage a diverse work load.
- A passion for environmental and health protection, a commitment to rigorous analysis, creativity and a healthy dose of pragmatism.
- Experience or familiarity with TSCA or other federal environmental statutes desirable.
- Some familiarity with chemical toxicity and exposure issues desirable.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.Apply