With world attention on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. By focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches, we tackle urgent threats with practical solutions. We are one of the world’s largest environmental organizations, with more than two million members and a staff of approximately 700 scientists, economists, policy experts, and other professionals around the world. We operate in 22 geographies with unique projects running across four programs. You will be part of a vibrant workplace that welcomes diverse perspectives, talents and contributions, where innovation and results are a way of life.
EDF envisions a world in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected to the environmental challenges we face and are engaged in creating durable, equitable solutions. We seek talented candidates who share the Core Values that allow us to experiment courageously in our work while staying true to who we’ve been as an organization for 50 years. Are you a results oriented individual who is passionate about creating environmental solutions that make a lasting difference in the world? Do you respect diverse perspectives, talents and contributions? Do you value innovation and enjoy designing and using a wide range of problem-solving tools? Do you embrace environmental goals with a sense of optimism while taking into account real-world dynamics? If you have integrity and a strong desire to uphold a commitment to science, rigorous analysis, intellectual honesty and ethical action, then EDF is the place for you.
EDF’s Energy Program works to reduce the climate, health, and environmental impacts of the current energy system while accelerating the transition to a low carbon energy economy with clean energy access for all. We have successfully won climate and clean air protections across North America and internationally, including playing an instrumental role in the passage of sweeping clean energy legislation in Texas and Illinois; establishing oil and gas methane pollution as a priority environmental issue; and prompting regulation of oil and gas methane in the United States, Canada, and Mexico.
Energy Markets and Utility Regulation Advocacy
The Energy Program’s Wholesale Energy Markets & Utility Regulation project is focused on reducing our reliance on natural gas, fostering markets and regulatory structures that will allow clean energy resources to compete and flourish, avoiding overinvestment in long-lived natural gas infrastructure and reducing emissions from gas transmission and distribution systems. Before the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) and Regional Transmission Organizations (RTOs), EDF is helping provide a pathway for clean energy integration by refining market rules to accelerate the trend to a more dynamic and responsive energy system. Before state public utility commissions (PUCs), EDF is working to integrate advanced leak detection technology and data analytics into gas utility operations and harmonizing gas policies and programs with ambitious state climate goals.
Under the direction of the Senior Director and Lead Counsel, Energy, a highly qualified and deeply motivated attorney will help advance these goals. The Senior Attorney will focus on developing, advocating and defending solutions in EDF’s interests both before FERC and PUCs. The Senior Attorney will also develop key alliances and partnerships both internally, with other EDF initiatives, and externally, with environmental groups, consumer advocates, and key market participants.
- Analyze, interpret, and provide counsel on relevant FERC and PUC decisions, rulemakings, and policy statements
- Interpret key court decisions
- Lead the development of briefs, motions, and other litigation documents
- Prepare detailed legal and policy comments in response to regulatory proposals
- Analyze key legal authorities and develop legal memoranda in support of strategic decision-making
- Advocate before federal and state regulatory bodies on various energy policy matters
- Develop reports and white papers to influence decision-makers
- Advance EDF’s objectives throughout the US with active involvement of senior EDF legal, policy, economics, scientific and technical staff and external experts and company partners
- Maintain strong relationships with energy, environmental, and academic allies
- Identify, advise, and mentor legal interns
- Represent EDF and the Energy Program at various important internal and external events and conferences
- Respond to emerging organizational priorities as appropriate
- Additional relevant responsibilities as assigned
- Professional law degree from a school of law accredited by the American Bar Association, with background in energy and administrative law
- Current member in good standing of the bar of a state, territory of the United States, or District of Columbia
- More than five years of professional legal experience, including experience before both FERC and PUCs
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, particularly the ability to translate legal, technical and utility policy information for non-experts. A writing sample and/or sample work product will be required as part of the interview process
- Excellent research and analytical skills, as well as experience using empirical and quantitative analysis in legal proceedings
- Demonstrated intellectual leadership and independent thought
- Must be well organized, motivated, and detail-oriented
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize and meet deadlines
- Ability to work with colleagues and partners of varied backgrounds and experience
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team in a fast-paced, dynamic, and entrepreneurial environment
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.Apply