With world attention on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. By focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches, we tackle urgent threats with practical solutions. We are one of the world’s largest environmental organizations, with more than two million members and a staff of approximately 630 scientists, economists, policy experts, and other professionals around the world. We operate in 22 geographies with unique projects running across four programs. You will be part of a vibrant workplace that welcomes diverse perspectives, talents and contributions, where innovation and results are a way of life.
The Office of the Chief Scientist is the nexus of science at EDF, ensuring that all EDF positions are based on the best available natural and social science. To be most effective in this role, the Office of the Chief Scientist provides programmatic support for all scientists at EDF and fosters relationships with scientists outside the organization.
The Research Analyst will be a key team member in the Office of the Chief Scientist, conducting basic secondary research and analysis on a wide variety of environmental topics that cut across EDF’s program areas. The Research Analyst will report to a Senior Scientist in the Office of the Chief Scientist.
- Perform literature reviews and find, analyze and synthesize scientific information on a wide variety of topics to inform the design and development of EDF projects;
- Fact-check and help develop reports, fact sheets, blog posts, website content and other materials for general and specific audiences on a variety of topics;
- Work with a team of staff scientists to summarize and visualize research and project results for staff, partners, donors and peer-reviewed scientific journals;
- Apply excellent organizational, communication and planning skills in preparing correspondence and reports, responding to requests for information and helping to coordinate activities among staff members;
- Manage key pieces of ongoing projects with partners from multiple sectors and backgrounds;
- Organize and manage databases, libraries and repositories for project files;
- Build relationships and consult regularly with public agencies, funders, researchers, academics, NGOs, industry representatives, public officials and other partners;
- Represent EDF at external events with a high degree of professionalism;
- Assist in preparing notes from important internal and external meetings; and
- Assist with organizing meetings, including scheduling and other logistics as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree in an environmentally relevant science field, with 1-3 years of relevant work experience in an environmental science, policy analysis, environmental advocacy or related field;
- Strong quantitative skills and experience in performing rigorous analyses;
- Demonstrated skill in synthesizing primary research;
- Ability to summarize and translate scientific information appropriately for a variety of audiences, from senior scientists to the lay public;
- Intellectual agility and comfort with working on a wide variety of environmental topics;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills;
- Experience with database and GIS software and scientific search tools such as Web of Science and EBSCO;
- Strong computer proficiency, including Excel, Word, and Internet research; experience with statistical programs (e.g., SPSS/STATA, R) a plus;
- Ability to work independently and support a multi-disciplinary team, using independent judgment to plan, prioritize and organize a diverse workload in a fast-paced environment;
- Ability to work with colleagues and partners of varied backgrounds and experience;
- Willingness to travel; and
- Commitment to Environmental Defense Fund’s mission of protecting public health and the environment.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.Apply