With world attention on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. By focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches, we tackle urgent threats with practical solutions. We are one of the world’s largest environmental organizations, with more than two million members and a staff of approximately 630 scientists, economists, policy experts, and other professionals around the world. We operate in 22 geographies with unique projects running across four programs. You will be part of a vibrant workplace that welcomes diverse perspectives, talents and contributions, where innovation and results are a way of life.
Tasks will include but are not limited to:
- Researching Indigenous Peoples rights and forest conservation policy
- Developing materials to educate policy makers on indigenous peoples and rights impacts related to REDD+
- Research and analysis to support the development of the New York Declaration on Forest’s annual report.
- Monitor blogs and postings on REDD+ while helping to write blogs and policy positions
- Monitor the UNFCCC negotiations and other international forums where REDD+ policy is being developed such as the FIP, FCPF, UNREDD, and REDD+ Partnership
- Support creation of new Ag-Climate Policy initiative with timely research.
- Demonstrated interest in environmental science, international relations, public policy, or related fields. Depending on ability, higher levels of work will be given (grad student versus undergraduate or recent grad).
- Fluency or advanced proficiency in Spanish, and/or Portuguese, preferred.
- Experience living and/or working abroad, preferred.
- Highly proficient in MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint and other software applications.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to interface well with all programs/departments in the organization and to represent the Climate and Air team in a highly professional manner.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills. Must be well organized, motivated, and detail-oriented.
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize and meet deadlines.
- Ability to work in a team setting and have the ability to work independently when projects are due.
- Demonstrate initiative and problem solving skills.
- Solid experience with computer spreadsheets
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant’s qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.