With world attention on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. By focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches, we tackle urgent threats with practical solutions. We are one of the world’s largest environmental organizations, with more than two million members and a staff of approximately 630 scientists, economists, policy experts, and other professionals around the world. We operate in 22 geographies with unique projects running across four programs. You will be part of a vibrant workplace that welcomes diverse perspectives, talents and contributions, where innovation and results are a way of life.
The Project Manager, US Oceans will work with the Director, Oceans Program Operations and project team to establish and implement appropriate planning, accountability and adaptive management systems, maintain effectiveness, and ensure program focus. While directly contributing to the overall goals and products of the team, the project manager also strengthens the team synergies by developing improved systems, fostering communications, and planning strategic meeting events. The project manager will also interface with other EDF teams including Finance, IT and Development to ensure collaboration and smooth functioning across our units.
- Ensure that the team’s various program goals and milestones are achieved by:
- Working with the team to develop necessary tracking tools and documents for individual and group projects and fostering project flow and efficiency.
- Monitoring progress of projects to ensure grant milestones are met.
- Participating in strategic planning of team objectives and ensuing projects.
- Budget management including but not limited to:
- Working with team leadership to prepare annual team budgets.
- Analyzing budgets frequently, tracking expenses against budgets, and forecasting.
- Identifying and communicating important budget issues and proposing solutions.
- Manage the development of grant reports and proposals including communicating with EDF staff in other departments. May include interviews with team leadership, drafting language and budgets, document management and proof reading.
- Provide direct supervision of one or more Program Assistants whose work includes management of sub-budgets, efficient and accurate processing of expense reports, AMEX reimbursements and invoices, setting up new vendors, executing contracts for consultants and providing scheduling, meeting and other general project support.
- Work with staff to develop consultant contract deliverables, recruit consultants and track progress toward meeting those deliverables. Identify potential issues, communicate with Directors to propose solutions. Act as a liaison within the team and with consultants to ensure consistent, high-quality service.
- As needed organize special team events and meetings to ensure they effectively meet their desired objectives e.g. agenda, site research & selection, contract negotiation, travel arrangements, attendee needs, catering & activity coordination, post meeting review, productivity assessment, and participant communications.
- Prepare reports for senior EDF Oceans staff including operational reviews and other team summaries.
- As needed, develop standard operating procedures for team members and train them in their application.
- Assist with on-boarding for new team members. Serve as a liaison with other departments such as HR and IT.
- Bachelor’s degree required with at least 4 years of relevant experience or an advanced degree with 2 or more years of experience.
- Experience with budgeting, accounting and/or bookkeeping.
- Previous experience managing or supervising staff.
- Research, analytical, and writing skills required in order to gather and summarize data for reports, find solutions to various problems, and prioritize work.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to interface well with all programs/departments in the organization and to represent the team in a highly professional manner.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Must be well organized, motivated, and detail-oriented.
- Ability to prioritize multiple tasks and meet deadlines.
- Ability to work in a team setting and also to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Position requires demonstrated poise, tact, and diplomacy. Must be comfortable handling confidential and sensitive information.
- Demonstrated initiative and problem solving skills.
- Highly proficient in MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint and other software applications.
- Strong interest in planning, logistics and administrative tasks.
- Demonstrated ability to manage upward.
- Interest in and commitment to the mission of EDF and its Oceans Program.
- Event planning experience a plus.
About The Oceans Program
We work to find constructive solutions to the most critical problems threatening the world’s marine environments. At the national, regional, and international levels, our team of scientists, attorneys and economists are working with fishermen to establish fair and sensible limits on their catch that will allow fisheries to recover. We also work to improve the health of the oceans via innovative and durable solutions to today’s toughest fishery management challenges. We focus on fisheries in the waters of the United States, Mexico and the Caribbean and Europe and are beginning to implement a strategy to influence fisheries reform globally to ensure more fish in the water, more food on the plate, and more prosperous communities.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.Apply