Put your passion and skills to work for the planet. Climate change is the most urgent issue of our time, and we need people like you to help us build a vital Earth — for everyone.
We’re Environmental Defense Fund, a fast-paced nonprofit with a growing staff of more than 850 people in nearly 30 countries. We deliver game-changing solutions that cut climate pollution and strengthen people’s ability to thrive despite the effects climate change is already having. We work wherever we can have the most impact, from local communities to top companies to governments worldwide, and even in space.
Washington, DC preferred. Other locations considered. Work-from-home US or hybrid work arrangements may be possible depending on project requirements.
EDF’s Executive Office, Global Mission sits atop the Impact, Solutions and Regions teams that comprise the whole of our programmatic and regional efforts to deliver game-changing climate solutions. Reporting to the Vice President, Global Mission, the Project Manager, Global Mission will coordinate, support and manage projects that build and maintain the governance, information, metrics, and convening platforms needed to successfully achieve the results laid out in EDF’s most recent strategic plan. Working closely with the Vice President, Global Mission, this person will translate the objectives of mission-wide initiatives into manageable projects, develop detailed plans and timelines, execute aspects of the work and collaborate with others to ensure the objectives are achieved. The successful candidate will be fully committed to both having ambitious workplans and achieving them flexibly, with transparent communication and through the incorporation of diverse perspectives.
- Develop and manage project plans to achieve objectives, define key milestones, and coordinate the completion of projects.
- Facilitate decision-making of Global Mission executive staff around project direction and the use of resources by teeing up issues, convening relevant team members toward clearly defined purposes, providing needed analysis, and driving toward conclusion.
- Working with colleagues in Mission Finance Operations, ensure Global Mission executive staff have timely data and analysis on the overall mission and own team’s budget and variances, and recommend modifications where appropriate.
- Plan engaging meetings and retreats, including with executive staff, to ensure agenda goals are met.
- Track and evaluate progress against project objectives, raise challenges and ensure corrective steps are taken, coordinate celebrations of success, and lead after action reviews.
- Introduce standardized tools, templates and other project management strategies to projects where they are not currently in use, including those to track and communicate progress on an ongoing basis.
- Practice and support good meeting hygiene, including clearly defining and communicating in a timely way meeting objectives and agendas, taking and circulating notes, and ensuring follow up.
- Draft a variety of communications including presentations.
- Leverage resources to creatively and consistently overcome challenges. Anticipate problems and propose solutions to issues without much guidance, asking questions whenever needed.
- Participate in advancing EDF DEI goals in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected, included, and empowered to address the environmental and organizational challenges in alignment with EDF values
We’re seeking a candidate who has a history of managing projects or programs successfully, preferably in a non-profit setting. This person will demonstrate strong judgment, flexibility and perseverance. In addition this person will have:
- Bachelor’s Degree desired, especially in Environmental Science, Economics, Natural Resource Management, Public Policy, Law, or other field relevant to EDF’s mission. At least four years of related or equivalent experience. Master’s Degree a plus.
- Demonstrated capacity to bring constituents together toward a common goal, build strategic relationships, and use effective persuasion skills.
- Demonstrated experience working effectively independently and in collaborative team environments with colleagues and partners of varied backgrounds and experience, preferably in a matrixed organization.
- Ability to work on multiple projects concurrently, both independently and as a member of a team in a dynamic and creative environment.
- Well-organized, motivated, and detail-oriented, with a high level of responsiveness to deadlines.
- Demonstrated initiative and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- High level of proficiency in Microsoft and/or Google office software such as Word, Excel, Google and experience in a range of other applications for data management and analysis. Confidence in working with new technology and processes.
- CAPM, PMP (or similar) project management training or accreditation preferred.
We offer a strong total rewards package encompassing competitive salary, robust benefits, and professional development opportunities consistent with a modern global organization.
The pay range for this role is 68,000 - 74,000 USD which takes into account factors such as candidate experience, skills, training, internal team equity and local norms.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.Apply