With world attention on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. By focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches, we tackle urgent threats with practical solutions. We are one of the world’s largest environmental organizations, with more than two million members and a staff of approximately 630 scientists, economists, policy experts, and other professionals around the world. We operate in 22 geographies with unique projects running across four programs. You will be part of a vibrant workplace that welcomes diverse perspectives, talents and contributions, where innovation and results are a way of life.
Overview of International Aviation Project
The need for decisive action to stop and reverse the rise of climate pollution has never been more urgent. In 2016, after two decades of inaction, all the world’s airlines and most of the world’s governments agreed to cap carbon dioxide emissions from international flights starting in 2021. If successful, the Carbon Offsetting and Reduction Scheme for International Aviation (CORSIA) will limit a fast-growing source of global emissions and spur greater ambition in the aviation sector. More broadly, CORSIA has the potential to catalyze a global carbon market that aligns economic incentives with low-carbon growth, rewards countries that steward their lands and forests, and helps put the world on a path to a more stable climate. EDF’s Global Climate Program seeks an experienced Project Manager to help their growing team manage the international aviation project.
Working under the supervision of EDF’s international aviation project team leader, the Project Manager will play a critical role in the development, execution, and coordination of the international aviation project. Using knowledge gleaned from previous experience, stakeholders, and EDF staff, the incumbent will develop recommendations and action steps for managing the project efficiently and effectively to maximize operational synergies within EDF and between EDF and its partners. Project outcomes must aggressively address environmental concerns and be practically and technically sound from a business and operational perspective.
The Project Manager’s role is three-fold: (1) internally coordinate and organize all participants across the organization toward shared goals; (2) provide operational and programmatic support to the project; and (3) to leverage EDF’s effectiveness, by assisting in the coordination of project initiatives that engage key partners and stakeholders.
- Track, monitor, and help execute EDF’s international aviation strategy; ensure that deliverables are completed in a timely manner.
- Facilitate strong communication within the team.
- Serve as the point person for cross-functional collaboration within EDF’s Climate Program and between Climate and other EDF Programs and Departments; coordinate relationships in support of mutual goals.
- In collaboration with program staff and EDF’s development staff, help facilitate the execution of a fundraising strategy to raise the necessary resources to meet project objectives; coordinate closely with development liaison; and closely track all development activities and deadlines for the team.
- With the help of the Project Assistant, organize and coordinate internal and external meetings for the team, ensure background materials including agendas are circulated in advance, take notes, and track follow-ups as appropriate.
- Draft, review, and edit papers and reports as needed; create and manage information and document storage mechanisms.
- Serve as the point person for project operations; assist with hiring and financial tasks as appropriate.
- Help develop and manage relationships with key external stakeholders, subject matter experts, and relevant academic/research communities to generate actions related to project. Coordinate the work of EDF experts and other NGOs as needed.
- Represent EDF at meetings as needed.
- Assist with the design, launch, and evaluation of the outcomes of a social media campaign.
- Ensure that the SVP of Climate and other program leaders are well informed of project status, outcomes, challenges, and necessary actions through suitable updates; identify and work with team members to quickly resolve roadblocks or conflicts.
- Assist project leadership in communicating project milestones to companies, policymakers, environmental groups, the media, and the public through peer-reviewed scientific studies, reports, presentations, and other methods.
- At least four or more years of related experience, or an advanced degree in a related field with at least two years’ related experience.
- Experience in project management and exceptional personal organization and attention to detail.
- An ability to work on multiple projects concurrently, both independently and as a member of small teams in a dynamic and creative environment.
- Strong analytical skills and experience performing rigorous analysis in support of highly visible work.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and the ability to work with colleagues and partners of varied substantive and cultural backgrounds, languages, and experience.
- Ability to manage multiple projects, tasks, priorities, and deadlines concurrently; and respond quickly to changing opportunities.
- A broad understanding of environmental issues and demonstrated ability to collaborate with diverse scientists, economists, NGOs, and industry representatives in large-scale, multi-stakeholder initiative.
- Experience with the aviation sector, climate change, and/or social media a plus.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.Apply