With world attention on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. By focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches, we tackle urgent threats with practical solutions. We are one of the world’s largest environmental organizations, with more than two million members and a staff of approximately 630 scientists, economists, policy experts, and other professionals around the world. We operate in 22 geographies with unique projects running across four programs. You will be part of a vibrant workplace that welcomes diverse perspectives, talents and contributions, where innovation and results are a way of life.
The Project Manager will play a key role in sustaining and growing EDF’s engagement with the financial services industry on cleaner energy, with a key goal of leveraging capital markets to reduce oil and gas methane emissions 45% by 2025. EDF educates institutional investors about the risk methane emissions pose to their portfolios, and activates them to advocate with oil and gas companies for better methane management and disclosure. The Project Manager will be responsible for managing this work, and maintaining these high-profile relationships with investor partners. The Project Manager will also play an instrumental role in broadening EDF’s finance strategy, cultivating new relationships as the work grows internationally. Under the supervision of a Manager in the EDF+Business Energy Team, this position will leverage business, financial, policy and technical experience and knowledge to support a key work stream that helps achieve EDF’s strategic goals.
- Sustain EDF’s work with institutional investors advocating for better methane management and disclosure in the oil and gas industry
- Work with senior leadership to develop EDF’s broader strategy on how to leverage global capital flows to incentivize the reduction of oil and gas methane emissions, and conduct the research and analysis to support that strategy
- Cultivate existing and develop new relationships in the financial services industry
- Oversee tasks such as outreach to potential partners, developing work plans and timetables, drafting blogs and thought-leadership pieces, identifying and procuring necessary resources, and managing project work and deliverables;
- Create and distribute educational materials to investor network, including a quarterly newsletter, new analysis and thought leadership
- Conduct research and analysis necessary to EDF’s work with investors and financial institutions, including the potential use of market mechanisms and new financial products to incent emissions reductions;
- Support communication of project results to EDF staff, corporate partners, businesses, media and other stakeholders through reports, blogs, social media, presentations, and other methods
- Coordinate EDF’s work with investors to support federal, state and global government policies to reduce methane emissions and other related co-pollutants
- As needed, support other EDF+Business Energy team work streams, including projects to develop cutting-edge methane sensors, engaging with the methane mitigation industry, and ad-hoc special projects as they arise
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in business, finance, economics, environmental studies, political science, engineering or public policy; Master’s degree preferred;
2-4 years of relevant professional experience in the financial sector preferred (e.g., investment banking, sales and trading, private equity, asset management, financial research, venture capital etc.).
- Applicants with more work experience may be considered on a case-by-case basis
- Experience working and managing relationships with external partners and/or clients required
- Experience with project management, coordinating multiple internal and external partners to reach milestones, working both independently and with small teams in a fast-paced, dynamic and creative environmental
- Demonstrated interest and/or experience in the energy sector, knowledge of the oil and gas industry preferred
- Demonstrated interest and/or experience in environmental issues
- Knowledge and/or experience with corporate financial and environmental, social and governance issues a plus
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, especially in explaining technical information to a non-technical audience; experience with social media and blogging a plus;
- Proficiency in the use of standard business software, including Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Strong research skills and experience with quantitative/financial analysis helpful;
- Strong presence and demonstrated ability to work effectively with colleagues and partners (both internal and external) from diverse communities, cultures, and backgrounds
- Creative and innovative thinker willing to challenge the status quo and propose new ideas and opportunities
- Exceptional personal organization and attention to detail
Preferred location for this position is in EDF’s Washington, DC office. EDF will consider candidates based in New York City, Boston or Austin potentially on a case by case basis.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.Apply