Project Manager, California Political Affairs
Locations: Remote, CA
The Project Manager will drive development and implementation of key aspects of EDF’s California-based work, including the collaborative design and implementation of effective policy and advocacy strategies that support EDF’s workstream priorities in California. Reporting to the California State Director, the Project Manager’s responsibilities will include the collaborative design and implementation of effective education and policy advocacy campaigns in California. This work will entail managing consultants, coordinating among multiple EDF workstreams and experts, coordinating with partner organizations, and building relationships with key stakeholders, influential decisionmakers and government agencies. The Project Manager will implement practices for tracking progress toward key objectives to ensure campaign deliverables and objectives are met. Flexibility and willingness to learn and develop functional subject matter expertise in the areas of climate change, groundwater, resilience, sustainable agriculture, environmental and public health, and environmental justice will be required. Initial priority areas of focus may include climate and clean energy policy, groundwater management, forest resilience, and medium and heavy-duty vehicle electrification.
The Project Manager will coordinate internal and external cross-functional and geographically dispersed teams and independently guide and manage specific projects. Independent judgement is required to plan, prioritize, and organize workload within this busy program. Ideal candidates are driven self-starters with the ability to learn and implement workflow processes quickly and work well within a team.
Depending on candidates’ location in California, travel is expected 10-25% of the time.
- In consultation with the California State Director and workstream leads, identify political and policy objectives and help design and implement strategies for effective federal and state policy engagement in California.
- Embed with EDF workstreams to help shape advocacy goals and strategies through synthesis of issue research, policy analysis, and local political perspective and prepare materials in furtherance of EDF’s advocacy agenda, strategic communications efforts, and other purposes.
- Manage collaborative efforts across EDF workstreams and initiatives and the national political team to deliver effective advocacy support of workstream efforts in California.
- Manage key elements of EDF’s advocacy strategy in California, including helping to manage the state political consulting and lobbying team.
- Help develop and manage the execution of an EDF California strategic communications plans, in partnership with policy leads and EDF Marketing and Communications staff and consultant(s). Help coordinate workstream’s communications efforts in California.
- Represent EDF in meetings, as needed, with policymakers and advocacy partners, with responsibility for active participation as well as identifying and tracking key takeaways and next steps.
- Identify and develop relationships with key stakeholders in legislative, regulatory, academic, environmental justice, private and non-profit sectors with the goal of supporting shared goals through partnerships and coalitions.
- Support the development and use of documents and tools to streamline project management, track legislative and stakeholder meetings and organizational positions.
- Support the coordination of meetings, activities, and events.
- Develop and manage discrete project budgets to support advocacy goals.
- Participate in advancing EDF DEI goals in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected, included, and empowered to address the environmental and organizational challenges in alignment with EDF values.
- Additional relevant responsibilities as assigned.
- Master’s degree and at least 2 years of work experience in community organizing, California politics, environmental policy and/or advocacy campaigns preferred; or bachelor’s degree plus 4 years of relevant experience.
- Experience in project management, excellent organizational abilities, multi-tasking and attention to detail.
- Ability to think strategically, adapt to changing circumstances and synthesize complex information to determine and deploy action plans.
- A high degree of diplomacy to influence and manage internal and external stakeholders.
- Familiarity with California legislative and/or regulatory processes.
- Ability and willingness to both work independently and as a team player in a fast-paced environment.
- Demonstrated strong judgement, initiative, and ability to anticipate problems and follow through with confidence.
- Demonstrated self-awareness, cultural competency and inclusivity, and ability to work with colleagues and stakeholders across diverse cultures and backgrounds.
- Experience crafting and delivering advocacy messages for earned and paid media preferred.
- Ability to travel for in-state meetings (10-20%, depending on candidate location) with occasional out of state travel required.
We offer a strong total rewards package encompassing competitive salary, robust benefits, and professional development opportunities consistent with a modern global organization. We take into account factors such as candidate experience, skills, training, internal team equity and local norms.
Please note that pay ranges are country specific. As a result, the stated currency is not meant be converted into any other currency.
$69,000 - $76,000 USD/Yr.
Regular Full Time
Remote - US
April 6, 2023
Put your passion and skills to work for the planet. Climate change is the most urgent issue of our time, and we need people like you to help us build a vital Earth — for everyone.
We’re Environmental Defense Fund, a fast-paced nonprofit with a growing staff of more than 1,000 people in nearly 30 countries. We deliver game-changing solutions that cut climate pollution and strengthen people’s ability to thrive despite the effects climate change is already having. We work wherever we can have the most impact, from local communities to top companies to governments worldwide, and even in space.
Our culture, values and commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion make EDF an exciting and meaningful place to work. Every job here makes a difference. Won’t you join us?