With world attention on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. By focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches, we tackle urgent threats with practical solutions. We are one of the world’s largest environmental organizations, with more than two million members and a staff of approximately 700 scientists, economists, policy experts, and other professionals around the world. We operate in 22 geographies with unique projects running across four programs. You will be part of a vibrant workplace where innovation and results are a way of life.
EDF envisions a world in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected to the environmental challenges we face and are engaged in creating durable, equitable solutions. We seek talented candidates who share our Core Values of Respect, Results, Innovation, Optimism, and Integrity, and support our Commitment to Diversity.
New York City, NY, Washington, D.C., Raleigh, NC or Remote - US Home
The Oceans Program works to find constructive solutions to the most critical problems threatening the world’s marine environments. At the national and regional levels, our team of scientists, attorneys and economists are working with fishermen to establish sustainable fisheries management solutions that will allow fisheries to recover, leading to more fish in the sea, more food on the plate and more prosperous fishing communities.
The Program Financial Manager, Oceans will act as a key thought partner for the Finance Director, Oceans Program. S/he will oversee monthly program finance operations, provide robust financial reporting, analyze data, help our program’s transition to a new ERP, and present program finances as appropriate to other departments in the organization. The Program Financial Manager, Oceans Program will work with staff throughout the program and in other departments to ensure the production of timely, accurate and insightful financial information.
- Collaborate with staff across programs and departments. Serve as the team’s primary contact with finance and budget managers in other programs at EDF to identify best practices for operations.
- Provide support to the program’s budget managers and project leads. Provide budget-related trainings, create helpful budget templates and tools for their use and act as their primary budgetary thought partner. Help the team transition to our new Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) platform, NetSuite.
- Coordinate with the Finance Director to identify the proper allocation of resources to meet the program’s operational priorities. Identify and advise on the reallocation of resources as appropriate.
- Lead monthend close processes and consolidate program forecasts. Investigate and analyze variances from month to month. Advise program managers and finance staff on spending trends.
- Organize data and create clear and accurate presentations, including spreadsheets, graphics and accurate, insightful summary material.
- In collaboration with the Finance Director, develop annual operating budget for Program.
- Review and approve new project budget proposals for fundraising opportunities outside of the annual budget process, financial reports for funders as needed, and consultant contracts and invoices.
- Identify special financial management-related projects that add value to the Program’s goals and objectives.
- Supervise Financial Assistant located in La Paz, Mexico.
- Bachelor’s degree required. Master’s degree in business management or public administration with a focus on finance or accounting a plus
- At least 6 years of professional experience in financial, program or project management
- Demonstrated experience managing staff, complex projects and developing strong working relationships with staff
- Detail-oriented ability to work with financial data, spot trends and ensure accuracy
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and the ability to work with colleagues and partners of varied backgrounds and experience
- Flexibility to work both independently and as part of a team in a fast-paced, dynamic, and entrepreneurial environment
- Self-motivated, exceptional personal organization and attention to detail
- Advanced financial management skills including knowledge of nonprofit accounting and fundraising practices. Experience with budget development, forecasting, and financial reporting. Experience working with multilateral donors a plus.
- A high degree of proficiency in MS Office suite, particularly Excel. Must be able to work with Excel to develop charts and spreadsheets that clearly present data to facilitate decision-making by senior leadership.
- Experience with forecasting, budgeting and reporting software packages. Specific experience with NetSuite’s Enterprise Resource Planning platform a plus.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.Apply