With world attention on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. By focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches, we tackle urgent threats with practical solutions. We are one of the world’s largest environmental organizations, with more than two million members and a staff of approximately 630 scientists, economists, policy experts, and other professionals around the world. We operate in 22 geographies with unique projects running across four programs. You will be part of a vibrant workplace that welcomes diverse perspectives, talents and contributions, where innovation and results are a way of life.
The Program Financial Analyst, Health is a key member in ensuring the successful operation of the budgetary and operational control systems for the Health program. The Program Financial Analyst will be asked to organize data, build spreadsheets and financial reports, review contracts and grants, perform financial analysis and projections, and help spot variances and issues in budget making, budget administration, and other program-wide issues and systems. S/he will represent program finances as appropriate to other departments in the organization. The Program Financial Analyst will work with staff throughout the program and in other departments to ensure the production of timely, accurate and insightful financial information.
The Program Financial Analyst, Health will report to the Vice President, Health Program and will work closely with EDF’s finance department.
• Works with Vice President, Health Program, program staff, finance staff, and development staff to develop annual budget submission.
• Reviews monthly reports of actual vs. budget results; investigates, analyzes and explains variances from budget for income and expense line items; and advises Director, Finance and Operations on trends and issues of concern.
• Organizes data and create clear and accurate presentations, including spreadsheets, graphics and accurate, insightful summary material.
• Works with Vice President, Health Program, program management, program staff, finance staff and development staff to develop new project/grant budget proposals submitted outside the annual budget process
• Assists Vice President, Health Program with periodic milestone reporting and the completion of annual milestone reports in conjunction with submission of the annual budget.
• Under guidance of the Vice President, Health Program, assists and coordinates on the proper allocation of resources to meet the program’s operational priorities.
• Coordinate the hiring of consultants, ensuring process and contracts are in accordance with EDF guidelines, with special attention to potential international issues.
• Serves as one of the program’s primary contacts with the finance department, accounting and development staff to insure coordination of financial management efforts and timely resolution of issues.
• Work with staff to ensure that invoices and expenses are coded properly and paid in a timely fashion.
• Oversees local processes for departmental review and coding of expense item; and educate staff regarding the budget process and financial management.
• Bachelor’s degree with business management, finance or accounting major and at least four years of finance, accounting, or operations experience required.
• Understanding of non-profit accounting principles and grants management preferred.
• Detail-oriented ability to work with financial data, spot trends, and ensure accuracy.
• Advanced project management and analytical skills.
• A high degree of proficiency in MS Office suite, particularly Excel. Must be able to work with Excel to develop charts and spreadsheets that clearly present data to facilitate decision-making by senior leadership.
• Experience with forecasting, budgeting and reporting software packages.
• Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment with changing priorities and tight deadlines.
• Excellent communication skills with enthusiasm for team approach and problem solving.
• Self-motivated, creative and attentive to details.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.Apply