Program Financial Analyst
With world attention focused on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. This leading green group, with programs from Boston to Beijing, has tripled in size over the past decade by focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches. You can be part of a vibrant workplace that welcomes diverse perspectives, talents and contributions, where innovation and a focus on results are a way of life.
The Program Financial Analyst is a key member in ensuring the successful operation of the budgetary and operational control systems for the Climate & Energy program.
The Program Financial Analyst, Climate & Energy will be asked to organize data, build spreadsheets and financial reports, review contracts and grants, perform financial analysis and projections, and help spot variances and issues in budget making, budget administration, and other program-wide issues and systems, and will represent program finances as appropriate to other departments in the organization. The Program Financial Analyst will work with staff throughout the program and in other departments to ensure the production of timely, accurate and insightful financial information. On occasion, he/she will work on special projects at the discretion of and under the guidance of finance department staff.
The Program Financial Analyst, Climate & Energy will report to the Senior Operations Manager, Climate & Energy.
- Works with program management, program staff, finance staff and development staff to develop annual budget submission.
- Reviews monthly reports of actual vs. budget results; investigates, analyzes and explains variances from budget for income and expense line items; and advises program managers, program staff and finance staff on trends and issues of concern.
- Organize data and create clear and accurate presentations, including spreadsheets, graphics and accurate, insightful summary material.
- Works with program management, program staff, finance staff and development staff to develop new project/grant budget proposals submitted outside the annual budget process
- Assist program management with periodic milestone reporting and the completion of annual milestone report in conjunction with submission of the annual budget.
- Coordinate with senior program leadership on the proper allocation of resources to meet the program's operational priorities. Identify and advise on the reallocation of resources as appropriate.
- Coordinate the hiring of consultants, ensuring process and contracts are in accordance with EDF guidelines, with special attention to potential international issues.
- Serves as one of the program’s primary contacts with the finance department, accounting and development staff to insure coordination of financial management efforts and timely resolution of issues.
- Review and approve appropriate expenses. Work with staff to ensure that expenses are coded properly and paid in a timely fashion.
- Oversees local processes for departmental review and coding of expense item; and educate staff regarding the budget process and financial management.
- College degree with business management, finance or accounting major and at least three years of finance, accounting, or operations experience required
- Detail-oriented ability to work with financial data, spot trends and ensure accuracy.
- Advanced project management and analytical skills.
- A high degree of proficiency in MS Office suite, particularly Excel and Access. Must be able to work with Excel to develop charts and spreadsheets that clearly present data to facilitate decision-making by senior leadership, as well as possess ability to design Access-based data bases.
- Experience with forecasting, budgeting and reporting software packages.
- Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment with changing priorities and tight deadlines.
- Excellent communication skills with enthusiasm for team approach and problem solving.
- Self-motivated, creative and attentive to details.
Due to the volume of employment applications and queries received, EDF is unable to respond to each application individually. Applicants will be contacted directly if selected as a candidate.
Environmental Defense Fund is an Equal Opportunity EmployerApply