With world attention on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. By focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches, we tackle urgent threats with practical solutions. We are one of the world’s largest environmental organizations, with more than two million members and a staff of approximately 700 scientists, economists, policy experts, and other professionals around the world. We operate in 22 geographies with unique projects running across four programs. You will be part of a vibrant workplace where innovation and results are a way of life.
EDF envisions a world in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected to the environmental challenges we face and are engaged in creating durable, equitable solutions. We seek talented candidates who share our Core Values of Respect, Results, Innovation, Optimism, and Integrity, and support our Commitment to Diversity.
Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is on a journey to integrate justice and equity into its organizational structure, strategies, and values, starting with the establishment of a Board of Trustees Diversity and Environmental Justice (EJ) Committee in 2001 and a Staff Diversity Committee in 2008. In 2020, EDF re-focused its justice and equity efforts, forming an internal EJ Council and hiring a new VP for Environmental Justice and Equity. We have had some successes in addressing disparate impacts, but continue to work toward a more systematic and impactful integration of these issues into our core program work
A basic principle of ecology is that diversity in an ecosystem fosters strength and resilience. At EDF, we believe that by creating a culture of diversity, equity and inclusion in both our staff and our programmatic work, we can help to foster greater strengths and resilience in EDF and the communities in which we work.
Under the direction of the Vice President, Equity and Justice, the Program Coordinator provides vital programmatic and administrative support by developing and implementing efficient protocols for project tracking, contract management, meeting and event planning and other program tasks. The Program Coordinator proactively solves problems, independently troubleshoots and addresses issues that arise, and possesses strong communication skills. This is a challenging role requiring organizational and time management skills, great attention to detail and the ability to manage multiple shifting priorities.
- Support the preparation of accurate and timely reports for grants and donors.
- Administer contracts for consultants, including drafting, coordinating and processing contracts, and working with program staff and consultants to ensure the obligations of contracts are fulfilled in a timely fashion.
- Process and track invoices to ensure that the team is receiving and processing owed expenses to consultants and contractors as agreed upon.
- Liaise with Human Resources for hiring and other HR needs, including posting new job listings; managing interviewing processes for job candidates, including sorting through applications and coordinating interviews between staff and candidates; ensuring that annual reviews, compensation decisions, conflict of interest reviews and other regular HR needs are processed in a confidential and timely fashion.
- Maintain and update file libraries and serve as the key point of contact for information flow for team.
- Manage program events: select venues and negotiate rates, issue invitations and track participation, arrange for meals or refreshments, coordinate transportation or lodging as needed, ensure AV needs are identified and met, coordinate and disseminate materials associated with the event both before and after.
- Respond to requests for information, either directly or by referring the questioner to the right member of the program staff. Help program staff to prepare correspondence and reports as needed.
- Work with the Information Technology department to ensure that Program IT needs are met, and program uses are consistent with EDF systems and standards.
- Maintain schedules and provide travel arrangements for program leadership and staff. Manage other administrative tasks associated with staff, consultants and interns, including logistics, office needs, and telecommunications.
- Maintain schedules and provide travel arrangements for program leadership.
- Manage other administrative tasks associated with staff, consultants and interns, including logistics, office needs, and telecommunications.
- Participate in advancing EDF DEI goals in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected, included, and empowered to address the experiences and the environmental and organizational challenges in alignment with EDF values.
- Apply excellent organizational, communication and planning skills in preparing written products, responding to information requests, and helping coordinate and track activities among staff members.
- Attend internal and external meetings and document and track key takeaways, next steps, and resource or research needs.
- Collaborate on preparation and distribution of reports and other written materials.
- Manage materials development and production.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree required, with at least 2 years of relevant work experience.
- Creativity, energy, and the ability to multi-task and get work done under pressure.
- Excellent management and administration skills.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability and willingness to work as a strong team player, while at the same time able to work independently and as a self-starter.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, especially Excel.
- Demonstrates self-awareness, cultural competency and inclusivity, and ability to work with colleagues and stakeholders across diverse cultures and backgrounds.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.Apply