With world attention on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. By focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches, we tackle urgent threats with practical solutions. We are one of the world’s largest environmental organizations, with more than two million members and a staff of approximately 700 scientists, economists, policy experts, and other professionals around the world. We operate in 22 geographies with unique projects running across four programs. You will be part of a vibrant workplace that welcomes diverse perspectives, talents and contributions, where innovation and results are a way of life.
EDF envisions a world in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected to the environmental challenges we face and are engaged in creating durable, equitable solutions. We seek talented candidates who share the Core Values that allow us to experiment courageously in our work while staying true to who we’ve been as an organization for 50 years. Are you a results oriented individual who is passionate about creating environmental solutions that make a lasting difference in the world? Do you respect diverse perspectives, talents and contributions? Do you value innovation and enjoy designing and using a wide range of problem-solving tools? Do you embrace environmental goals with a sense of optimism while taking into account real-world dynamics? If you have integrity and a strong desire to uphold a commitment to science, rigorous analysis, intellectual honesty and ethical action, then EDF is the place for you.
The Oceans Program works to find constructive solutions to the most critical problems threatening the world’s marine environments. At the national, regional, and international levels, our team of scientists, attorneys and economists are working with fishermen to establish fair and sensible limits on their catch that will allow fisheries to recover. Within the Oceans Program, our Fishery Solutions Center (FSC) team helps EDF’s partners and field staff around the world assess the challenges facing their fisheries and develop solutions. The Center is the world’s most comprehensive hub for tools, training and information on sustainable fishing and our experts are dedicated to advancing the cutting-edge of sustainable fisheries management, including providing mentoring and training to practitioners on the ground.
The Program Assistant will play a key role in providing operations and administrative support to the team and ensuring the smooth operation of day-to-day activities. Working with other members of the FSC Operations Team, the Program Assistant will work on tasks related to project tracking, scheduling, invoicing, expense reporting, meeting planning etc. The Program Assistant will also provide advanced administrative support to the Oceans Program’s Vice President, including support with scheduling and travel needs. The Program Assistant will be based in San Francisco and report to the FSC Manager of Operations.
- Manage the Vice President’s extensive meeting schedule and calendar in Outlook, keeping track of deadlines and important events, reconciling conflicts, and booking conference rooms and video conferencing services as required.
- Support Operations Manager with project management and grant reporting by developing project timelines, coordinating activities among staff members, tracking deliverables, and providing status updates and financial summaries as needed.
- Determine priorities and time-sensitive issues for the Vice President and assist them in preparing for meetings with donors, staff and external constituents, including tracking relevant communications.
- Manage all travel booking for the Vice President (air, hotel, and ground transportation) and resolve all logistical travel issues, prior to and during travel.
- Provide additional scheduling assistance, calendar management and travel support for the FSC’s Directors.
- Assist in processing and executing contracts for consultants and other vendors.
- Schedule and manage logistics for workshops, project meetings, webinars, conference calls, and other events, including reserving meeting spaces, arranging catering, travel and hotel accommodations for meeting participants, and other tasks as needed.
- Attend internal and external meetings and document and track key takeaways, next steps, and resource needs.
- Support Operations Manager in managing the FSC’s budget by accurately tracking expenses, preparing monthly expense reports and processing invoices.
- Provide other administrative support as needed, including proofreading written materials, preparing and distributing documents, updating team information, organizing electronic files, and other miscellaneous administrative tasks.
- Collaborate with other members of the Oceans Program Operations Team on cross-programmatic activities, including the development of new project management tools, roll out of updated procedures, planning of program-wide events and other similar activities.
- Strong interest operations and administration focused work within an interdisciplinary organization.
- Undergraduate degree strongly preferred, with 2-4 years of administrative experience in a fast-paced, detail-oriented environment.
- Meticulous organization and attention to detail, including the ability to follow complex procedures and recognize inconsistencies in data
- Ability to successfully handle and prioritize diverse, simultaneous tasksin a fast-paced environment while quickly adapting to changing plans and schedules.
- Ability to work autonomously on day-to-day responsibilities in accordance with routine practices and procedures
- Excellent judgment and discretion, including experience handling sensitive and confidential information.
- Demonstrated initiative and accountability.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to interface with poise and confidence with a wide-range of stakeholders
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Highly proficient computer skills, including Outlook, Word, and Excel.
Please apply with a Resume and Cover letter.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.Apply