With world attention focused on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. This leading green group, with programs from Boston to Beijing, has tripled in size over the past decade by focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches. The Development Team has been an integral part of the growth. You can be part of a vibrant workplace that welcomes diverse perspectives, talents and contributions, where innovation and a focus on results are a way of life.
Reporting to a Principal Gifts Officer in Boulder, CO and supporting another senior level development officer in Los Angeles, CA, the Coordinator will be responsible for supporting the two officer’s efforts to cultivate, solicit, and steward a portfolio of EDF’s leadership and principal donors. The Coordinator will be expected to employ the highest standards of a donor-centered approach to fundraising playing a key role in the solicitation and stewardship of EDF’s top donors. This position is a growth opportunity for someone interested in the Development profession and offers the opportunity to work with EDF’s senior fundraisers.
- Work closely with two Senior Development Officers to engage top donors; develop deep familiarity with the portfolios and work plans to assist and learn from the officers
- Compose, edit, and proofread talking points for donor meetings, briefings, proposals, stewardship reports and other communications; coordinating with the Donor Communications team, ensuring that donor documents meet the highest standards of writing and that the content reflects EDF’s priorities.
- Draft correspondence including annual solicitations, acknowledgments, emails for two Senior Development Officers
- Assist in the timely and accurate preparation of donor and prospect visits.
- Produce individualized acknowledgements and other correspondence for donors, ensuring their accuracy and consistency with EDF’s style and messaging.
- Analyze and develop various fundraising reports tracking goals, giving and fundraising activities.
- Conduct initial research on donors and prospects and create a portfolio of information for strategy and planning process.
- Participate in donor strategy sessions.
- Maintain up to date and accurate data records for each donor and prospect in Common Ground.
- Coordinate and schedule internal and external meetings, and provide other administrative support as necessary, including expense reports.
- Respond to donor and staff inquires and other special projects, as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- A minimum of three years of relevant experience preferably in a fundraising, non-profit or academic setting is preferred.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to compose, edit, and expertly proofread correspondence and other documents.
- Strong strategic and analytical skills and the ability to convey complex ideas in writing, with a level of clarity and sophistication expected by our highly integral donors and prospects.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to maintain tact, diplomacy, and confidentiality while representing the organization and interfacing with all levels of staff at the national and affiliate offices, as well as with volunteers, donors, and outside vendors.
- High ability to actively listen to colleagues, senior development management and donors to deftly navigate and manage relationships.
- Demonstrated initiative and creativity; the ability to work independently as well as within a team.
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, and Internet research. Experience working with Salesforce, fundraising or relational databases strongly preferred.
- Desire to learn major gifts fundraising.
- Commitment to the mission of Environmental Defense Fund.
Interested applicants should submit their cover letter, resume and salary requirements. Due to the volume of employment applications and queries received, EDF is unable to respond to each application individually. Applicants will be contacted directly if selected as a candidate.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant’s qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.