With world attention on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. By focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches, we tackle urgent threats with practical solutions. We are one of the world’s largest environmental organizations, with more than two million members and a staff of approximately 700 scientists, economists, policy experts, and other professionals around the world. We operate in 22 geographies with unique projects running across four programs. You will be part of a vibrant workplace that welcomes diverse perspectives, talents and contributions, where innovation and results are a way of life.
EDF envisions a world in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected to the environmental challenges we face and are engaged in creating durable, equitable solutions. We seek talented candidates who share the Core Values that allow us to experiment courageously in our work while staying true to who we’ve been as an organization for 50 years. Are you a results oriented individual who is passionate about creating environmental solutions that make a lasting difference in the world? Do you respect diverse perspectives, talents and contributions? Do you value innovation and enjoy designing and using a wide range of problem-solving tools? Do you embrace environmental goals with a sense of optimism while taking into account real-world dynamics? If you have integrity and a strong desire to uphold a commitment to science, rigorous analysis, intellectual honesty and ethical action, then EDF is the place for you.
The Florida Political Affairs Director will establish and run a state-based political operation for Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) with the goal of assembling a powerful coalition that elevates climate change as a salient concern for any elected official seeking a district or statewide office. Working in close coordination with EDF’s national political affairs team, the Director will cultivate new climate champions in the state’s Congressional delegation as a key component of a broader effort to generate bipartisan support for federal climate legislation. The Director will also build momentum for climate action by working with partners at the state and local levels to advance policies and programs that reduce carbon emissions and increase community resilience. The Director will establish EDF’s on-the-ground presence in Florida, hiring a small team of staff and consultants, and building relationships with key influencers and organizations. The position is based in Florida and reports to EDF’s Southeast Regional Director.
- Lead efforts, in close coordination with EDF’s political affairs team, to identify voters across the electorate who are likely to care about climate change and to deepen EDF’s understanding of how to frame our issues in ways that resonate broadly with key constituencies.
- Develop and implement successful campaigns to achieve discrete clean energy and climate change policy wins at the state or local levels in order to change the narrative on the potential for bipartisan climate action in Florida and Washington, DC.
- Work in close coordination with EDF’s field organizing team to build and strengthen EDF’s existing network of influencers in Florida (including local lawmakers, government officials, academics, and business and civic leaders) with a focus on demanding climate leadership in congressional districts, as well as the two U.S. Senate seats, currently represented by Republicans.
- Build durable relationships with the leadership of allied environmental, conservation and clean energy non-profits to strengthen alignment and organizing strategies around advocacy campaigns that build momentum at the local, state and federal levels for climate action.
- Provide support and guidance to EDF’s grassroots initiatives in Florida, Moms Clean Air Force and Defend Our Future, by developing discrete, winnable advocacy campaigns to build momentum for climate action at the local, state and federal levels.
- Work in close coordination with EDF’s Latino Engagement and Partnership program to strengthen relationships with Latino-led organizations and co-design campaigns to engage and mobilize Latino voters in Florida to combat climate change.
- Entrepreneurial individual with a demonstrated track record as an innovative leader with the necessary political, legislative and other professional experience to direct a distinctive program for an internationally prominent environmental organization.
- Bachelor’s required; advanced degree preferred. At least eight years of relevant professional experience that provide evidence of strategic vision, managerial skills and a commitment to EDF’s mission and approach.
- Successful candidates will demonstrate a nuanced understanding of Florida politics, experience working with elected officials on both sides of the aisle, and familiarity with relevant subject matter.
- The ability to work effectively with diverse stakeholders, from business leaders to academic institutions and community organizations.A collaborative leadership style, with proven ability to inspire and manage diverse teams.
- Excellent communication skills, including experience with public speaking and media relations.
- Comfortable working with a remote manager.
- A strong understanding of public policy with a proven track record of building alliances and working with policymakers.
- Comfort with and enthusiasm for nurturing donor relationships
- Spanish language skills are preferred.
- Diverse candidates are encouraged to apply.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.Apply