With world attention on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. By focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches, we tackle urgent threats with practical solutions. We are one of the world’s largest environmental organizations, with more than two million members and a staff of approximately 630 scientists, economists, policy experts, and other professionals around the world. We operate in 22 geographies with unique projects running across four programs. You will be part of a vibrant workplace that welcomes diverse perspectives, talents and contributions, where innovation and results are a way of life.
This position can be based in Austin, TX, Boulder, CO or Chicago, IL
Cultivates, solicits, and stewards a portfolio of current and prospective legacy donors located throughout a territory covering most western states to Midwest (excluding CA). Close bequests, charitable gift annuities, other planned gifts and outright gifts through personalized correspondence, telephone calls and face to face visits. Participate in marketing legacy gifts to donors and prospects. The Planned Giving Officer will be an experienced development professional with the skills and drive to implement all aspects of a comprehensive Planned Giving program. This position reports to the Director of Planned Giving.
- Manage a portfolio of donors in all phases of development including cultivation, solicitation and stewardship. Secure, plan, and engage in face to face visits.
- Develop and maintain positive relationships with EDF donors at all giving levels.
- Create compelling, well written request letters, donor proposals, and other correspondence.
- Develop and maintain strong collaborative working relationships within the Development department and with all levels of EDF staff.
- Level of Independence and Decision-making:
- Independently respond to donor inquiries with appropriate information on bequests, life income gifts and other gift planning vehicles and produce associated contracts. Considerable judgment and initiative are often exercised in dealing with donors and interpreting policy and procedures.
- Analysis and problem-solving:
- Develop and implement creative and effective solicitation, cultivation and stewardship strategies. Able to utilize software and systems to track key metrics, prioritize activities and analyze portfolio status.
- Key contributor of Planned Giving team and responsible for achieving assigned financial, cultivation and stewardship goals. Assist in developing and executing national multi-channel marketing programs including print and online newsletter articles, advertisements, solicitations, presentations and brochures.
- Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of 5 years work experience in Planned Giving or similar experience working directly with clients in financial services or estate planning.
- Experience working in a non-profit institution of comparable complexity and scale is preferred.
- Demonstrated knowledge of planned giving vehicles and basic estate and financial planning, including the tax implications of charitable giving. Ability to apply this knowledge to address individual donor needs and goals. Keep abreast of changes and emerging issues in Planned Giving.
- Exceptional planning, organization, time management, analytical, and multi-tasking skills.
- Excellent writing, communication, and presentation skills.
- Capacity to work easily and effectively with a wide range of people; adept at building relationships.
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced, flexible, collegial, goal-oriented and entrepreneurial environment.
- The highest level of personal and professional integrity and quality standards.
- Proficient in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Planned Giving Manager and donor tracking software (preferably Sales Force).
- Commitment to the mission of Environmental Defense Fund.
- Ability to travel as needed
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.Apply