With world attention on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. By focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches, we tackle urgent threats with practical solutions. We are one of the world’s largest environmental organizations, with more than two million members and a staff of approximately 700 scientists, economists, policy experts, and other professionals around the world. We operate in 22 geographies with unique projects running across four programs. You will be part of a vibrant workplace that welcomes diverse perspectives, talents and contributions, where innovation and results are a way of life.
EDF envisions a world in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected to the environmental challenges we face and are engaged in creating durable, equitable solutions. We seek talented candidates who share the Core Values that allow us to experiment courageously in our work while staying true to who we’ve been as an organization for 50 years. Are you a results oriented individual who is passionate about creating environmental solutions that make a lasting difference in the world? Do you respect diverse perspectives, talents and contributions? Do you value innovation and enjoy designing and using a wide range of problem-solving tools? Do you embrace environmental goals with a sense of optimism while taking into account real-world dynamics? If you have integrity and a strong desire to uphold a commitment to science, rigorous analysis, intellectual honesty and ethical action, then EDF is the place for you.
The Online Advocacy & Community Coordinator will report to the Activism & Engagement Manager and will need to stay on top of - and even ahead of - the latest breaking news in order to help develop and implement online and offline grassroots engagement strategies. The Coordinator will work strategically to help recruit and activate EDF’s members and activists through inspiring messaging campaigns focused on EDF’s environmental priorities that target state and federal legislators and other key decision makers. The Coordinator will also manage and cultivate our EDF Action Ambassadors online community in order to engage, train, and activate high-level grassroots advocates on local and national issues.
In this work, the Coordinator will help build and maintain our “ladder of engagement” to provide multiple opportunities for our advocates to stay engaged in our work - from “point and click” online activism to helping activists deliver calls and messages over social media, training them to write constituent letters and inviting them to attend events on the ground. A passion for grassroots advocacy and community engagement is a must - as is the ability to craft clear and concise messaging materials to inspire, activate and build/deepen relationships with our most engaged constituents on our most important issues. Some travel will be involved to facilitate on-the-ground trainings and events with our EDF Action Ambassadors. Candidates for this position must be flexible and willing to adjust to priorities and needs as political priorities evolve.
- Organize and develop materials for online and offline activism: action alerts, letter writing campaigns, lobby visits, and state-by-state campaign guides
- Facilitate conference calls, webinars, and in-person trainings to educate EDF Action Ambassador groups and help them achieve shared EDF goals
- Manage and maintain records of EDF organizers and activists, including updating contact information and tracking communications and activities
- Manage and maintain up-to-date overall activity calendar for engaging key audience targets, share and coordinate planning with other appropriate teams
- Recruit new activists and volunteer organizers and manage their development
- Implement strategies to follow up with new contacts
- Establish benchmarks and goals for our local grassroots organizing efforts
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree is required
- At least 2 years of experience in grassroots organizing (volunteer management experience a must), or advance degree with 0-1 year of experience
- Strong understanding of the political process; comfortable breaking complicated policies and procedures down for a lay audience
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Comfortable with speaking in front of groups of couple/few dozen activists
- Exceptional time management and prioritization skills; ability to multi-task and get work done under pressure
- Good judgement, initiative, and ability to anticipate problems and follow through with confidence
- Ability to work in a team setting
- Proficiency in the use of PCs and Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, etc.)
- An understanding of and commitment to Environmental Defense Fund’s mission of protecting public health and the environment
- Familiarity with online organizing tools and with how to leverage digital content to expand outreach and campaign engagements
- Experience managing online communities with an eye towards increasing user engagement
- An understanding of basic HTML and familiarity with email marketing systems (BSD, EveryAction, Convio/LuminateOnline, etc.)
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.Apply