With world attention on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. By focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches, we tackle urgent threats with practical solutions. We are one of the world’s largest environmental organizations, with more than two million members and a staff of approximately 630 scientists, economists, policy experts, and other professionals around the world. We operate in 22 geographies with unique projects running across four programs. You will be part of a vibrant workplace that welcomes diverse perspectives, talents and contributions, where innovation and results are a way of life.
EDF’s Oil & Gas Program
Oil and Gas is an important and growing part of our nation’s energy portfolio. It emits fewer greenhouse gases than coal when combusted and avoids mercury and other dangerous air pollutants that come from coal. It could be a win-win, if—and this is a big ‘if’—we do it the right way. The “right way” entails putting tough rules in place that lock in mandatory environmental safeguards to protect communities and reduce methane pollution, which undermines Oil and Gas’ role as a lower carbon alternative to coal and oil. EDF is taking a leading role to ensure that Oil and Gas provides real and sustained carbon benefits without harming the environment or health of the communities where gas development occurs.
The Oil & Gas Communications intern will be responsible for supporting communications staff in EDF’s Oil and Gas Program. This work will include supporting traditional and social media efforts, auditing media lists, outreach to media, developing Twitter lists, conducting background research, distributing and promoting content through various EDF’s channels, and other tasks related to the Oil and Gas Program’s communications goals.
Reports to the Manager, Oil and Gas Communications.
Specific duties may include, but are not limited to:
• Assisting in generating, tracking and posting to the Energy Exchange blog and @EDFEnergyEX/@EDFtx/@EDF_CA Twitter handles
• Distributing press materials to media
• Conducting media audits to refine media lists
• Writing content for website, marketing collateral, digital channels and other materials as needed
• Monitoring and tracking traditional and non-traditional media outlets for coverage and opportunities
• Providing communications support for special events
• Researching digital audiences
• Reporting on marketing communications updates and successes
• Coordinating and executing special projects, as assigned
• Excellent writing skills required (writing samples will be required if selected for an interview)
• Must be well-organized, self-motivated, detail-oriented and proficient in the use of standard office equipment and computer software (such as MS Office applications)
• Thorough knowledge of social media including Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, LinkedIn and WordPress. Experience with online advertising a plus.
• Ability to stay organized, meet deadlines and maintain a pro-active attitude in a team environment
• Applicants for internships should be enrolled in a relevant undergraduate or graduate program such as environmental or health science, law, policy, communications or politics with at least two years collegiate experience by the start of the internship.
EDF Austin Office - 301 Congress Avenue, Ste 1300, Austin, TX 78701
This internship is full-time (35 hours per week)
The compensation is $15 per hour. Additionally, EDF is happy to support any academic credit available to candidates. Interns have access to networking opportunities with EDF experts, national staff and partner organizations during the term of their internship.
Interested applicants should attach their cover letter and resume to the EDF application.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.Apply