With world attention on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. By focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches, we tackle urgent threats with practical solutions. We are one of the world’s largest environmental organizations, with more than two million members and a staff of approximately 630 scientists, economists, policy experts, and other professionals around the world. We operate in 22 geographies with unique projects running across four programs. You will be part of a vibrant workplace that welcomes diverse perspectives, talents and contributions, where innovation and results are a way of life.
Spring 2019 Intern
National Field Operations Intern
Program: Political Affairs
Are you interested in exploring a career at an internationally-recognized environmental organization? By joining EDF as an Intern, you too can be part of a vibrant workplace that welcomes diverse perspectives, talents and contributions, where innovation and a focus on results are a way of life. EDF’s Internship Program welcomes intellectually hungry leaders to join us, advance our work, and cultivate the skills and relationships needed for a successful career working for the environment. Alumni of our Internship Program have gone on to important leadership positions, most notably our own President, Fred Krupp. Could you be the next Fred Krupp?
EDF offers internships and fellowships for students and recent graduates in a variety of programs and departments throughout the organization. The ultimate goal of our internship and fellowship program is to provide high-quality experiences (including relevant projects and opportunities for networking) that form the foundation for any individual who is serious about pursuing an environmental career.
The National Field Operations team lies within EDF’s Political Affairs Program. The team’s primary purpose is to build support for national environmental policies in priority states, including climate change, clean energy, and defending core environmental laws.
The National Field Operations Intern will help coordinate field efforts to build support for federal and state climate and clean energy initiatives.
Tasks will include but are not limited to:
- Assist in field efforts to build support for federal and state climate and clean energy initiatives.
- Support collaboration and coordination across EDF teams in key target states.
- Support building partnerships with allied organizations and influential grasstops voices to achieve our goals and objectives.
- Support for digital organizing in key target states.
- Perform analysis of public officials and institutions that will impact climate and clean energy policy, including researching and reviewing public records.
- Facilitate consistent and effective communications among all program staff.
- Promote an organizational culture and structure that fosters communication, collaboration, teamwork, and trust.
- Perform any other outreach responsibilities to be arranged with supervisor based on intern interest.
The successful applicant will have proven interest in advocacy campaigns and a passion for advancing solutions to climate change. Applicant will have the following qualifications:
- Applicants for internships should be enrolled in a relevant undergraduate or graduate program such as Communications or Political Science with at least two years collegiate experience by the start of the internship.
- Problem-solving, interpersonal, presentation and communication skills.
- Ability to work independently and cooperatively with staff and volunteers.
- Experience with electoral or advocacy campaigns a plus.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office.
- Knowledge of social media platforms and email tools.
- Commitment to EDF’s strategic approach, combined with enthusiasm for working on complex issues.
10-12 weeks during the Spring of 2019
Full-time (35 hours/week) or part-time (20 hours/week) opportunities available.
Interested applicants should attach their cover letter and resume to the EDF application. In your letter please describe your interest in advocacy campaigns and/or energy and climate policy.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.Apply