With world attention on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. By focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches, we tackle urgent threats with practical solutions. We are one of the world’s largest environmental organizations, with more than two million members and a staff of approximately 630 scientists, economists, policy experts, and other professionals around the world. We operate in 22 geographies with unique projects running across four programs. You will be part of a vibrant workplace that welcomes diverse perspectives, talents and contributions, where innovation and results are a way of life.
Moms Clean Air Force (MCAF) is a community of moms and dads united against air pollution - including the urgent crisis of our changing climate - to protect our children’s health. We arm members with reliable information and solutions through online resources, articles, action tools and on-the-ground events.
Moms Clean Air Force National Field Director is responsible for directing MCAF’s field program, developing and deploying grassroot and direct advocacy tactics, building programs to engage new constituencies, and growing MCAF’s influence on local, state, and federal decision makers.
- Lead field efforts to defend federal clean air, climate and toxics regulations, and build support for federal, state and municipal climate and clean energy initiatives.
- Lead development of new programs to engage new constituencies, including moms of color and conservative and rural moms.
- Lead development of municipal engagement program including building out grassroots field program, grasstops engagement, and fundraising.
- Hire and manage national field manager, regional field managers and program coordinator and develop state field plans to achieve strategic policy objectives in key states.
- Negotiate field consultant and other provider contracts and monitor contract deliverables for timeliness and quality.
- Develop and manage field budget, write grants, and cultivate funders, including individuals and foundations.
- Foster collaboration and coordination across EDF teams in key target states.
- Build partnerships with allied organizations to achieve field and organizational goals and objectives.
- Build strong networks of influential grasstops voices to support climate and clean energy goals.
- Provide strategic input on EDF’s federal, state and municipal climate and energy campaigns.
- Facilitate consistent and effective communications among all program staff
- Report and make recommendations to Senior Director, MCAF, regarding progress, obstacles, and resource needs.
- Promote an organizational culture and structure that fosters communication, collaboration, teamwork, and trust.
- Respond to requests from the Executive Team, Development, Finance, and other EDF departments for reports, information or assistance.
- Collaborate effectively with the science, policy, and communications teams.
The successful applicant will have proven professional experience managing advocacy field campaigns and a passion for advancing solutions to clean air and climate change. Applicant will have the following minimum qualifications:
- 10 years of relevant experience, including project/team management experience and experience developing organizational systems and protocols in a nonprofit, political or campaign setting.
Exemplary problem-solving, interpersonal, presentation and communication skills.
Demonstrated experience solving complex problems through coalitions and partnerships.
An advanced degree
Experience mediating internal conflicts both inside and outside of a chain of command.
Flexibility and a good sense of humor.
Demonstrated desire to step into various roles as needed.
Commitment to EDF’s strategic approach, combined with enthusiasm for working on complex issues.
- Ability to communicate to large audiences, including public speaking, giving presentations and responding to media requests
- Ability to organize and execute events
- Ability to activate and organize citizens through online and on-the-ground organizing
LOCATION: Washington, DC or Remote
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.Apply