With world attention on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. By focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches, we tackle urgent threats with practical solutions. We are one of the world’s largest environmental organizations, with more than two million members and a staff of approximately 700 scientists, economists, policy experts, and other professionals around the world. We operate in 22 geographies with unique projects running across four programs. You will be part of a vibrant workplace that welcomes diverse perspectives, talents and contributions, where innovation and results are a way of life.
EDF envisions a world in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected to the environmental challenges we face and are engaged in creating durable, equitable solutions. We seek talented candidates who share the Core Values that allow us to experiment courageously in our work while staying true to who we’ve been as an organization for 50 years. Are you a results oriented individual who is passionate about creating environmental solutions that make a lasting difference in the world? Do you respect diverse perspectives, talents and contributions? Do you value innovation and enjoy designing and using a wide range of problem-solving tools? Do you embrace environmental goals with a sense of optimism while taking into account real-world dynamics? If you have integrity and a strong desire to uphold a commitment to science, rigorous analysis, intellectual honesty and ethical action, then EDF is the place for you.
The Member Services Assistant (MSA) plays a vital role in our effort to provide the best in class services to our members and the general public. The MSA is the first point of contact for a wide variety of requests received through our toll-free numbers, mail and general email accounts. The MSA must respond quickly and professionally to a wide range of inquiries, demonstrate a sincere desire to help others while at the same time establish rapport and inject personal touches to achieve maximum satisfaction while complying with all of EDF’s policies, and bolster awareness of our work.
The Member Services Assistant is an essential part of the Membership team and works under the supervision of the Manager, Member Services.
- Serve as first point of contact for all incoming telephone calls, mail and emails from members and the general public with the utmost of care, attention and respect by addressing their problems and negotiating a mutually satisfactory resolution.
- Identify opportunities to continuously improve our relationship with our members and their experience with the organization.
- Stay up to date with EDF’s programs and policies to best articulate and respond to all incoming questions on our work.
- Assist in maintaining a dynamic service operating procedures manual to allow for seamless management of inbound communications and reporting.
- Build rapport and good working relationships with key internal and external contacts.
- Manage and route return and department mail through the appropriate channels.
- Maintain integrity of our member database through regular updates of donor records.
- Receive and distribute messages to staff members received via our 800 number.
- Complete additional projects as assigned.
- At least one-year customer service experience, preferably in non-profit.
- Proficiency with standard business applications, such as MS Office, and familiarity with databases.
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a fast-paced environment with changing business needs.
- Ability to oversee details of projects with high accuracy and meet critical deadlines.
- Ability to complete projects independently with limited oversight.
- Well-developed proofreading, writing and editing skills.
- Clear and understandable verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills and a genuine desire to work with people.
- Experience and interest in environmental protection is highly desirable.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.Apply