With world attention on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. By focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches, we tackle urgent threats with practical solutions. We are one of the world’s largest environmental organizations, with more than two million members and a staff of approximately 630 scientists, economists, policy experts, and other professionals around the world. We operate in 22 geographies with unique projects running across four programs. You will be part of a vibrant workplace that welcomes diverse perspectives, talents and contributions, where innovation and results are a way of life.
Are you passionate about helping teams work together at a high level of excellence? Do you thrive on making sure projects get completed on time in service of critical communications goals? We’d love to hear from you.
Our Marketing and Communications department’s Creative Team is searching for an experienced Project Manager to help us execute our ideas, strategies, and plans. If you are expert in creating schedules, recognizing scope, anticipating challenges, wrangling teams, and setting priorities, we want to hear from you. As project manager, you’ll work across skillsets and teams to make sure that we maximize our expertise and resources for major communications deliverables, ensuring that EDF puts its best foot forward in branding, fundraising, and advocacy efforts.
- Work upstream with project owners to analyze project goals, objectives, and resources; establish scope, roles and responsibilities, and schedules; and manage day-to-day steps, plans and deliverables to goals and deadlines.
- Clarify and communicate expectations to all stakeholders and contributors.
- Projects may include: Multi-channel content launches; ad campaigns; videos; photo shoots; events; interactive tools; infographics; and complex print projects.
- Facilitate communication within and between project teams to keep daily activities in sync.
- Supply the energy and leadership to keep projects moving in a decentralized, matrixed organization.
- Identify, then resolve or escalate issues that impede teams’ progress.
- Maintain consistent and efficient documentation, from recording group decisions to tools and processes.
- Traffic final deliverables to clients and/or other key stakeholders, as well as properly into our Asset Management System.
- Maintain familiarity with overall content inventory, content creation & publishing calendar, and key organizational milestones to help inform and coordinate upcoming projects.
- Fill critical needs in other roles as needed, as we don’t have dedicated specialists for every function. This might include light-duty production tasks within video production; simple online coding; photo research and/or online page layouts.
- Take responsibility for the overall cohesion and quality of projects led, including quality assurance.
- Contribute ideas and other help as needed.
- Four or more years of experience leading/facilitating complex projects.
- Some staff management experience.
- Thorough knowledge of project phases and common challenges.
- Proficiency with the basics of video, photo, and design production processes and technologies.
- Familiarity with—and aptitude for applying—decision-making and project management processes and frameworks.
- Excellent written and in-person communication skills, including meeting facilitation and follow-up.
- Fierce attention to detail.
- Experience keeping project teams focused, organized and moving while maintaining a professional, congenial environment.
- Ability to facilitate between staff ranging from executive levels through skill-specific specialists.
- Ability to establish and negotiate priorities.
- Knowledge of Basecamp is a plus, but familiarity with similar tools is an advantage.
- Fascination with emerging communications tools, and curiosity about how we can use them to advance EDF’s mission.
- Flexibility to take on new roles as the evolution of online media and storytelling technologies leads us in unanticipated directions.
- Commitment to environmental progress is not required, but it will make the work more interesting.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.Apply