With world attention on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. By focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches, we tackle urgent threats with practical solutions. We are one of the world’s largest environmental organizations, with more than two million members and a staff of approximately 700 scientists, economists, policy experts, and other professionals around the world. We operate in 22 geographies with unique projects running across four programs. You will be part of a vibrant workplace where innovation and results are a way of life.
EDF envisions a world in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected to the environmental challenges we face and are engaged in creating durable, equitable solutions. We seek talented candidates who share our Core Values of Respect, Results, Innovation, Optimism, and Integrity, and support our Commitment to Diversity.
Communications Manager, EDF+Business (Tropical Forest Protection & Carbon Credit Campaign)
Location: remote - US, Washington D.C., Boston, San Francisco, or New York
About EDF+Business: We believe companies, communities and the environment can thrive in unison – and we’re making it happen by leveraging the power of the marketplace. We combine cutting-edge science, economic expertise and unexpected partnerships to help high-impact companies – including Walmart, KKR and FedEx – transform business as usual in their products, operations, supply chains and advocacy.
This position reports to the Director of Communications, EDF+Business. The position will play a critical role in helping lead a new communications campaign to generate international support for high-integrity tropical forest protection carbon credits. In particular, the Communications Manager will lead this campaign’s efforts to spur investment from businesses.
The Communications Manager plays a significant role in the success of this campaign, and of EDF’s work with business by:
- Utilizing expert marketing, PR and content experience to set strategy and manage execution of all corporate-facing elements of the carbon credits campaign, and to drive measurable results.
- Raising the profile of the EDF+Business team’s carbon credits and corporate sustainability experts with our target audiences, and in support of the broader campaign.
- Mentoring junior staff and coordinating with cross-programmatic teams involved in EDF’s carbon credits campaign.
- Ensuring exceptional operations for the EDF+Business communications team and the business-facing elements of the forest protection/carbon credit campaign through effective management of meetings, budgets, negotiations, and contracts.
As a leader on the Tropical Forest Protection & Carbon Credit Campaign and the EDF+Business Marketing and Communications team, the position’s responsibilities will include:
- Working with communications counterparts across EDF and with a public relations agency to help build and execute business-facing elements of the communications campaign.
- Translating complex, technical subject matter into language that resonates and with and helps drive targeted behavior by business audiences.
- Educating and engaging business leaders on the importance of carbon offsets by producing and disseminating compelling content to this critical audience, highlighting businesses that are leading on this issue, and other tactics.
- Building thought leadership for EDF experts and leading businesses through media relations (including building reporter relationships), content development, blog writing, social media, and paid advertising.
- Coordinating and building relationships with corporate communications counterparts, in order to amplify the carbon credits campaign and raise the profile of businesses that are leading on carbon credits.
- Proven ability to create, implement and report out on holistic marketing campaigns, encompassing PR, digital and content marketing, direct marketing, social media, event marketing and speaking engagements.
- Expert writing and editing skills.
- Demonstrable success in cultivating media interest and generating positive stories that drive program objectives.
- Excellent verbal communication and presentation skills.
- The ability to lead, manage and mentor staff and cross-functional teams.
- Independent problem-solving and crisis communications skills.
- Excellent project, time management and organizational skills.
- Bachelor’s degree plus minimum of 6-8 years of marketing communications experience is essential, preferably in an agency, large corporation or NGO
- Minimum 5 years of project management, staff management, and outside agency, consultant and budgetary oversight
- Demonstrable, hands on experience with media outreach, social media, messaging and content creation, and audience segmentation
NOTE: this is a 2-year renewable Fixed Term Contact role, with full benefits.
To Apply: please attach a cover letter as well as a resume.