With world attention on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. By focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches, we tackle urgent threats with practical solutions. We are one of the world’s largest environmental organizations, with more than two million members and a staff of approximately 700 scientists, economists, policy experts, and other professionals around the world. We operate in 22 geographies with unique projects running across four programs. You will be part of a vibrant workplace where innovation and results are a way of life.
EDF envisions a world in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected to the environmental challenges we face and are engaged in creating durable, equitable solutions. We seek talented candidates who share our Core Values of Respect, Results, Innovation, Optimism, and Integrity, and support our Commitment to Diversity.
Department Mission & Position Function
The mission of the procurement function is to support EDF’s long-term success and sustainable growth by establishing strategic thinking in all procurement efforts, resulting in responsible stewardship of organizational resources, streamlining of business processes, and a combination of quality, flexibility, innovation and diverse, sustainable suppliers.
In this newly developed role, the Procurement Manager will draft, manage, and act as the primary point of contact between suppliers and the business throughout the RFP process. Reporting to the Director of Procurement, the manager is responsible for the procurement of goods and services in indirect categories, including marketing, real estate, facilities, professional, and employment services, for use in the organization by identifying potential supplier sources, screening them, and negotiating favorable terms. Other responsibilities include supplier onboarding, supplier management, contract management, monitoring supplier performance, and ensuring that contractual obligations are met.
This role can be based remotely or out of any U.S. EDF office location.
- Work cross-functionally to understand unique Program and Department procurement needs, coach program finance staff in general procurement best practices
- Act as a point of contact between the organization and suppliers
- Identify potential suppliers based on project requirements
- Prepare RFPs, coordinate their release to bid, and collect responses
- Compare proposals for price and specifications
- Negotiate contracts, terms, and deadlines with suppliers
- Work closely with the legal department to ensure contract terms are favorable to the organization
- Setup and run meetings with the legal team and supplier
- Maintain strong working relationships with strategic suppliers to ensure cost, quality, and delivery targets.
- Provide input on process and policy changes to improve procurement efficiency
- Keep abreast of changing industry trends
- Participates in advancing EDF DEI goals in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected, included, and empowered to address the environmental and organizational challenges in alignment with EDF values.
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s Degree
- 5-7 years of experience preferred in a procurement relevant role
- At least 1 year of experience running RFP process from draft to completion
- Bachelor’s Degree in Finance, Supply Chain, Procurement, or Business a plus
- Organizational skills, must be very well organized and able to updated a department tracker
- Problem solver with strong analytical and computer skills, knowledge of PowerBI a plus
- Working knowledge of contracts, invoicing, and negotiating terms
- Strong understanding of procurement and negotiation techniques
- Previous category expertise (marketing, property, professional services, etc.) is a plus
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent customer service skills
- Microsoft Office, must be able to use Word and PowerPoint, and must have excellent Excel skills including complex formulas, sumif/s, v/h lookups, index and match, pivot tables, and data validation
- Demonstrates self-awareness, cultural competency and inclusivity, and ability to work with colleagues and stakeholders across diverse cultures and backgrounds.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.Apply