Manager, Private Angler Management Reform
Manager, Private Angler Management Reform
Gulf of Mexico Oceans Program
With world attention focused on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. This leading green group, with programs from Boston to Beijing, has tripled in size over the past decade by focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches. You can be part of a vibrant workplace that welcomes diverse perspectives, talents and contributions, where innovation and a focus on results are a way of life.
EDF’s Oceans Program works to improve the health of the oceans by working with fishermen, scientists, fish dealers, chefs, and other partners to establish innovative and durable solutions to today’s toughest fishery management challenges.
The Manager, Private Angler Management Reform will be a critical leader in our work to secure a sustainable future for the private angling component of the federal fishery in the Gulf of Mexico. S/he will lead EDF’s outreach to key stakeholders, including sportfishermen, private angler groups, conservationists, marine scientists and will play a central role in developing and implementing our overall strategy to achieve management reforms. S/he will report to the Director, Gulf of Mexico Oceans Program.
- Design and implement broad strategies for the successful adaptation of recreational management reforms in the Gulf.
- Oversee and implement specific tactics which will bring these strategies to fruition.
- Identify and develop relationships with key fishermen and stakeholder supporters
- Effectively leverage key fishermen and other stakeholder voices with Gulf of Mexico Fishery Management Council members, state commission members, state and federal agencies executives and other key decision makers
- Participate in and/or oversee community outreach efforts to ensure successful plan implementation
- Serve on federal and state advisory panels and committees key to advancing our work in the Gulf
- Convene workshops to facilitate leadership, outreach, media and communications training
- Guide research and analysis to identify solutions to project goals, analyzing information from a variety of internal and external sources:
- Identify, design, and implement entrepreneurial pilot projects that advance management solutions
- Engage in fundraising support activities and collaborate on proposals and reports required by grantors or other requesting parties
- Undertake and complete special projects as assigned
- Graduate degree or, equivalent professional experience, in science, policy, economics, or law, in areas related to environmental or marine resources policy, aquatic sciences, environmental sciences or related fields encouraged
- Minimum of five years of experience in the field of natural sciences with fisheries experience preferred
- Strong understanding of state and federal policy making and political processes.
- Understanding of business, environmental, financial, scientific and other issues related to creating and maintaining sustainable fisheries or other natural resources
- Demonstrable people and project management skills
- Demonstrable analytic skills and ability to perform rigorous analysis in support of highly visible work
- Demonstrable written and oral communication skills, as well as proven negotiation skills
- Ability to garner consensus between disparate groups with conflicting priorities
- Ability to recognize and build on market and strategic opportunities for progress
- Capable of working with a variety of concerned parties, including government agencies, grassroots organizations and private firms, within strategic coalitions
- A self-starter with the ability to think strategically and the initiative to work in a small regional office while effectively functioning as part of a larger program team
- Travel to Washington, DC and the Gulf Coast are required on a periodic basis
The position will be located in Austin, Texas but candidates in other Gulf of Mexico states (Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama or Florida) will be considered.
This is a one-year team position
Full-time (35 hrs/wk)
Interested applicants should submit a resume and cover letter.
Due to the volume of employment applications and queries received, EDF is unable to respond to each application individually. Applicants will be contacted directly if selected as a candidate.
Environmental Defense Fund is an Equal Opportunity EmployerApply