With world attention on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. By focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches, we tackle urgent threats with practical solutions. We are one of the world’s largest environmental organizations, with more than two million members and a staff of approximately 700 scientists, economists, policy experts, and other professionals around the world. We operate in 22 geographies with unique projects running across four programs. You will be part of a vibrant workplace where innovation and results are a way of life.
EDF envisions a world in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected to the environmental challenges we face and are engaged in creating durable, equitable solutions. We seek talented candidates who share our Core Values of Respect, Results, Innovation, Optimism, and Integrity, and support our Commitment to Diversity.
This role can be based from an EDF office in NYC, Boston MA, Washington D.C. or Austin, TX. Working remotely in NY, D.C., TX and MA is also an option.
Please submit a Cover Letter as part of your application.
The Manager, Operations & Board Relations is primarily responsible for managing the development of materials to inform and support Trustees as they prepare for Board meetings. They are also the primary keeper of records associated with the board of trustees. They will operate with access to all Board and Development Department files and records. As such, tact, discretion, judgment, and the ability to function in a confidential capacity are required.
Reporting to the Director of Trustee & Board Relations, the Manger is responsible for budget and project management within the board relations function including process management and oversight, editorial management and utilization of the organization’s wide resources to produce top-quality written materials for board meetings and all correspondence with Trustees. They will also be a key partner to the Chief of Staff and liaison to the Director of the Executive Office.
- Support Director, Trustee & Board Relations in the development and monitoring of annual board meeting work plan for EDF board meetings, and review work plans for EDF Action, Europe and China Advisory Board
- Manage the production of the board book and ensure approval from Chief of Staff, Director, Trustee & Board Relations, and other associated stakeholders
- Support production of board materials for EDF Action, EDF Europe, the China Advisory board and other boards and committees
- Co-ordinate logistics and approval timelines for memo’s, dashboards, and other inputs into all of these board books
- Manage the annual board events budget; communicate budget progress to Chief of Staff for review and approval
- Take minutes at board meetings and committee meetings as needed and draft subsequent absentee memos and final minutes
- Manage relationships with programs and departments to ensure the timely development and review of written materials for board purposes
- Distribute board communications in collaboration with donor communications and other staff and subject to approval by Chief of Staff
- Maintain trustee contact information and email lists for c3, c4, EDF Europe, China Advisory Board and board committees
- Collaborate with committee liaisons to maintain clear communication workflows with the donor communications team
- Manage board material editing, through both internal liaison and external contract management
- Plan committee retreats: develop work plans, agendas; work with program leads and events team
- Support Director, Board Relations in the development of annual committee action plans with staff committee leads
- Work in collaboration with events and IT staff to optimize the board meeting experience.
- Help manage the Board pipeline data, update and track nominations. Enter nominations pipeline data into Common Ground (Salesforce)
- Communicate with web team and research team regarding contact information for trustees and directors, coordinate sharing of intake form information
- Assist Director, Trustee & Board Relations with developing content and scheduling Trustee orientation. Maintain and update the Trustee Handbook
- Manage and update the Board Relations project space
- Maintain board related files in SharePoint including copies of all board meeting presentations, committee reports, etc.
- Manage and execute on operational tasks for Board Relations staff including expense reports, invoices, contracts, and other financial documents requiring approval and administration.
- Set agendas and record action items for Board Relations function
- Prepare written communications and correspondence as needed
- Participates in advancing EDF DEI goals in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected, included, and empowered to address the environmental and organizational challenges in alignment with EDF values.
- Other duties assigned as needed
- A minimum of 4+ years of demonstrated experience in project management or operations, and relationship management
- Bachelor’s degree
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Self-motivated and extremely well organized
- Strong strategic and analytical skills
- Excellent communications skills (both written and verbal) and computer literacy
- Demonstrated ability to use sound judgement, identify problems and present solutions
- Demonstrated ability to set priorities and track deliverables; and manage multiple high-priority projects to completion on tight deadlines
- Demonstrates self-awareness, cultural competency and inclusivity, and ability to work with colleagues and stakeholders across diverse cultures and backgrounds.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.Apply