Put your passion and skills to work for the planet. Climate change is the most urgent issue of our time, and we need people like you to help us build a vital Earth — for everyone.
We’re Environmental Defense Fund, a fast-paced nonprofit with a growing staff of more than 850 people in nearly 30 countries. We deliver game-changing solutions that cut climate pollution and strengthen people’s ability to thrive despite the effects climate change is already having. We work wherever we can have the most impact, from local communities to top companies to governments worldwide, and even in space.
Job Title: Manager, Marketing Analytics
Program/Dept: Marketing - Performance Marketing
Location: This position can be based remotely or out of any US EDF office location.
The Performance Marketing Team’s (PMT) mission is to increase EDF’s effectiveness with clear, timely, and actionable marketing insights and Return On Investment-driven audience acquisition. Within that team, the Analytics & Insights Team (A&I) empowers marketing by having a thorough understanding of the business questions of our internal clients and their related data needs, and leveraging the technology and infrastructure to provide these insights. We have complex and often unstructured problems, and are looking for a Marketing Analytics Manager who has strong technical skills and thinks creatively to find solutions.
The ideal candidate thrives on discovering how behavior can predict measurable actions and is passionate about how the latest trends in marketing and technology can be used to build a next generation analytics service. This position will play a vital role in shaping how analytics will be used to grow and optimize our customer acquisition and journey - and also foster a data-informed mindset within marketing. The Marketing Analytics Manager will fulfill deeper ad hoc analytics requests from colleagues (Acquisition, Web, Social, and Content Teams) and provide them with actionable insights that allow them to make better and more informed decisions. The ideal candidate will need to be a creative problem solver with solid analytical and data manipulation abilities, a strong self-learner, and possess strong attention to detail.
- Identify the analytics questions and metrics that are most likely to make an impact
- Define and document measurement requirements for analytics projects, identify project deliverables and milestones required to support stakeholders
- Partner with cross-functional stakeholders to translate business requirements into actionable KPIs and/or informed goal targets
- Work closely with internal leaders to develop data-informed strategies (including statistically-backed strategies) to monitor and optimize the customer journey
- Work from a common, consistent playbook and deliver high quality, timely, and intuitive reports and dashboards around key metrics
- Oversee routine reporting, data-driven analyses, and insights for strategic initiatives to ensure successful, timely completion of outcomes
- Develop and automate periodic reporting. Establish and manage protocols for automated monitoring alerts, processes, and QA to ensure data accuracy
- Vigorously document institutional knowledge required to produce queries, reports, and routine analyses
- Deliver powerful insights that EDF’s marketing teams can use to drive actions that further EDF’s goals
- Conduct insightful, ad hoc analyses to investigate ongoing or one-time issues - proactively explain the ‘why’ in addition to the ‘what’ while educating campaign stakeholders on insights
- Perform advanced analyses, including statistical modeling, to understand and explain trends and drivers of key marketing metrics
- Present analyses and findings to stakeholders; ‘telling the story’ and identifying drivers and opportunities of business performance
- Analyze marketing/social data, sales metrics, and other multichannel data sources to derive deeper learnings and inform optimization opportunities
- Actively participate in the implementation and measurement of recommendations to monitor performance and impact
- Advance the underlying data, science and technology that makes quality analytics possible, and increases our capacity as a team to generate valuable insights
- Work with stakeholders to define strategic and tactical roadmaps
- Partner with the Data Engineering team to define the business intelligence roadmap and build data and analytics capabilities to support ongoing business needs
- Develop internal BI capabilities and democratizing data across the organization
- Monitor business performance and market trends/tools to spot strengths and educate other company leaders on areas of opportunity
- Provide management and leadership to help grow the capacities of the A&I team
- Manage, develop, and mentor a team of 3+ talented data analysts, supporting them, ensuring they are delivering high-quality, impactful work, and helping them to grow
- Provide mentorship to other members of the team and the marketing organization on the best methodologies for design, implementation, and testing of analytics insights
- Bachelor’s degree highly preferred, ideally in a quantitative discipline or business analytics
- 6 years of experience preferred in analytics, business intelligence, or related field with a strong focus on delivering insights and recommendations
- Demonstrated proficiency using at least one major BI Tool (Tableau preferred), including building intuitive dashboards for users with a wide range of data savviness
- Previous experience in either management, teaching, and/or indirect team leadership, especially mentoring early career analysts
- Proficiency in R stastical programming language required
- Demonstrated statistical knowledge: descriptive vs inferential statistics, statistical significance, sample sizes and data minimums, benchmarking, validation, comparative statistical methods, designing statistical methodology/processes, tests (A/B, Hypothesis, etc.)
- Experience developing predictive/classification models to support and improve decision-making and understand when is appropriate to use each algorithm — predictive models (logistic regression, support vector machine, decision tree etc.) — classification models (K-mean clustering , hierarchical clustering etc.)
- Ability to explain complex technical and statistical concepts in an easy-to-understand way
- Clear business communication skills with ability to ask focused questions to quickly interpret and resolve user needs and ability to effectively communicate technical concepts and insights from data
- Experience with and knowledge of marketing concepts and frameworks (e.g. funnel metrics, acquisition costs, ROI) a plus
- Intermediate to advanced SQL a plus
- Understanding of Big Data, comparative statistical methods, data mining, machine learning, and other Analytics tools, such as SQL, Hadoop, Spark, Python, SAS, and MapRedu
- Ability to conduct quality assurance of deliverables
- Productive without perfect resources, innovative and work with a sense of urgency
- Naturally inquisitive, with a curiosity for understanding root causes
- Commitment to environmental progress is not required, but it will make the work more fulfilling
We offer a strong total rewards package encompassing competitive salary, robust benefits, and professional development opportunities consistent with a modern global organization.
The pay range for this role is 98,000 - 110,000 USD which takes into account factors such as candidate experience, skills, training, internal team equity and local norms.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.Apply