Put your passion and skills to work for the planet. Climate change is the most urgent issue of our time, and we need people like you to help us build a vital Earth — for everyone.
We’re Environmental Defense Fund, a fast-paced nonprofit with a growing staff of more than 1,000 people in nearly 30 countries. We deliver game-changing solutions that cut climate pollution and strengthen people’s ability to thrive despite the effects climate change is already having. We work wherever we can have the most impact, from local communities to top companies to governments worldwide, and even in space.
Our culture, values and commitment to diversity make EDF an exciting and meaningful place to work. Every job here makes a difference. Won’t you join us?
The Grant Compliance Manager is a subject matter expert on grant administration with a solid foundation in the fundamentals of financial management. The person in this role will partner with Finance, Mission, Legal and Development colleagues during the entire life-cycle of a grant to ensure donor compliance, external regulatory compliance, and adherence to EDFs policies and procedures. This would include, but not be limited to, monitoring spending and the timely use of funds, compliance with the funder’s operational and contractual requirements, as well as overall grant performance.
The Grant Compliance Manager reports to the Sr. Director, Revenue & Development.
- Provide cradle-to-grave oversight of assigned grant portfolio
- Develop tools and practices for monitoring each grant to understand current status, burn rate and operational obstacles
- Review and understand grant agreements and supplementary donor documentation to ensure EDF’s compliance
- Collaborate with Development, Legal and Mission colleagues throughout the life of the award to monitor spending, document and monitor overall performance on outcomes/deliverables, analyze trends, highlight any concerns, and clear any operational roadblocks
- Review and approve external financial reports prior to submission to the funder to ensure they are technically sound, align with the current status of the award and are backed by adequate documentation and records, and comply with all donor requirements
- Review and approve budget revisions and reallocation requests prior to submission to the funder
- Escalate any concerns to the Sr. Director, Revenue and Development and project manage agreed-upon solutions
- Lead the award close-out process, including ensuring there is a zero net asset balance and that the award is closed in EDF’s financial system.
- Participates in advancing EDF DEI goals in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected, included, and empowered to address the environmental and organizational challenges in alignment with EDF values.
- Additional responsibilities as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in public administration, business, finance, accounting, or a related field
- Six (6) or more years of direct grants management and administration with an international NGO
- Understanding of indirect rate structures
- Excellent financial, analytical, organizational, and problem-solving abilities
- Ability to deliver meticulous, high-quality work and pay close attention to details
- Desire to seek continuous process improvement and experience delivering such
- Ability to work independently and effectively while also working as a collaborative team member
- Strong diplomatic and interpersonal skills and ability to build strong professional relationships with diverse stakeholders
- Sound judgment and ability to handle confidential information with discretion and professionalism
- Experience managing multiple activities in a deadline-oriented environment
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to work in a multicultural environment.
- Demonstrates self-awareness, cultural competency and inclusivity, and ability to work with colleagues and stakeholders across diverse cultures and backgrounds.
We offer a strong total rewards package encompassing competitive salary, robust benefits, and professional development opportunities consistent with a modern global organization.
The pay range for this role is 90,000 - 100,000 USD which takes into account factors such as candidate experience, skills, training, internal team equity and local norms.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.Apply