Put your passion and skills to work for the planet. Climate change is the most urgent issue of our time, and we need people like you to help us build a vital Earth — for everyone.
We’re Environmental Defense Fund, a fast-paced nonprofit with a growing staff of more than 1,000 people in nearly 30 countries. We deliver game-changing solutions that cut climate pollution and strengthen people’s ability to thrive despite the effects climate change is already having. We work wherever we can have the most impact, from local communities to top companies to governments worldwide, and even in space.
Our culture, values and commitment to diversity make EDF an exciting and meaningful place to work. Every job here makes a difference. Won’t you join us?
Provide insight and strategic vision to achieve legislative objectives that advance EDF’s advocacy goals across a variety of program areas. Specific legislative objectives include: assisting to build and execute the strategy around climate and agriculture, as well as laying the groundwork for bipartisan climate opportunities, and working to block congressional efforts to weaken core environmental protections. This position will have a focus on building relationships with members of Congress, developing legislative strategies and participating in coalition activities related to Farm Bill. This position will report to the Director of Federal Affairs.
- Serve as an EDF lobbyist and build a strong network of relationships directly with members of Congress, high-level staff, key committee staff, and leadership staff.
- Develop and implement strategies and plans tailored for both Democratic and Republican members on climate related issues, with a focus on sustainable agriculture, but also to include broader climate priorities and opportunities.
- Build EDF’s brand and political influence with Congress; collaborating effectively across relevant EDF teams and EDAF PAC to ensure Hill engagement is aligned and well coordinated.
- Collaborate with EDF’s legal and regulatory teams and external coalitions to advance pro-environmental policies and block Congressional attacks on our nation’s bedrock environmental laws.
- Work closely with strategic partners to help shape our policy-related communications and messaging strategies.
- Partner with external organizations, including other NGOs at the federal and state level and company representatives to advance EDF’s legislative goals.
- Participate in advancing EDF diversity, equity, and inclusion goals in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected, included, and empowered to address the experiences fell connected, included and empowered to address the environmental and organizational challenges in alignment with EDF values.
- Additional relevant responsibilities as assigned.
- At least 6 years of capitol hill experience, including working with senior Congressional and Administration officials, and coalitions of national-level interest groups and associations; experience working with the Democratic members a plus.
- Advanced degree with strong experience in science, economics, and/or policy-related fields.
- A proven network of bipartisan congressional contacts and ability to influence and impact policy change.
- Experience with legislative and regulatory structures, and solid understanding of the political dynamics surrounding a broad range of climate, air, and energy issues and the wider political context in which they operate.
- Ability to interface with high-level stakeholders, congressional staff, and environmental groups to ensure collaboration and coordination when needed.
- Demonstrated project management experience, including ability to: develop vision, mission and strategies and plan/manage activities of project team.
- Strong written and verbal skills, analytic capabilities and ability to manage a diverse workload in a rapidly evolving environment.
- Demonstrates self-awareness, cultural competency and inclusivity, and ability to work with colleagues and stakeholders across diverse cultures and backgrounds.
We offer a strong total rewards package encompassing competitive salary, robust benefits, and professional development opportunities consistent with a modern global organization.
The pay range for this role is 85,000 - 94,000 USD which takes into account factors such as candidate experience, skills, training, internal team equity and local norms.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.Apply