With world attention on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. By focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches, we tackle urgent threats with practical solutions. We are one of the world’s largest environmental organizations, with more than two million members and a staff of approximately 700 scientists, economists, policy experts, and other professionals around the world. We operate in 22 geographies with unique projects running across four programs. You will be part of a vibrant workplace where innovation and results are a way of life.
EDF envisions a world in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected to the environmental challenges we face and are engaged in creating durable, equitable solutions. We seek talented candidates who share our Core Values of Respect, Results, Innovation, Optimism, and Integrity, and support our Commitment to Diversity.
EDF+Business has been working with the private sector to address the world’s most pressing environmental problems for over thirty years. The products we buy every day—from the food we eat to the beauty products we use—are an integral part of the global economy, but their production creates major climate, water, and health impacts throughout the supply chain. Our team aims to reduce these impacts by working with the food and agriculture sectors to enact change through their supply chains. We do this through high-impact partnerships with companies such as Walmart and Tyson Foods; bipartisan policy advocacy; and smart communications strategies to disseminate best practices.
Corporate sustainability commitments are at an all-time high. However, for food and agriculture companies, there is not consensus on how they can meet climate goals and how high-quality credits could play a role in supporting the transition to the low-carbon economy. Reporting to the Senior Manager, Resilient Food and Forests, this role will lead a targeted strategy to translate the best science and guidance on high-quality forest carbon and agricultural credits to food companies and agribusiness.
The role will focus on advocacy to two distinct facets of the agricultural supply chain: food companies and agricultural technology companies: 1) Lead EDF+Business outreach to food companies to ensure that they have best guidance on how to support high-integrity carbon credits and understand what role these credits should play in their overall climate strategies, and 2) Engage the agricultural technology sector, which is investing significantly in supporting the infrastructure for agricultural carbon credits, to ensure that these processes align with high-integrity principles and include best available science. This team member will participate in industry-wide coalitions to incorporate EDF’s perspective into the global dialogue. The role will be an integral member of an interdisciplinary EDF team working to advance high-quality nature-based climate solutions at scale.
- Conduct research and technical analysis to inform how food and agriculture companies can engage with and use greenhouse gas credits.
- Draft and publish guidance documents to help the food/agricultural sector understand the value and use of credits.
- Manage collaborations with food and agribusiness companies to support the uptake of our guidance and/or pilot programs to deploy our best practices.
- Support internal and external alignment around definitions of high-integrity nature-based credits and translate how this will impact the food/agricultural sector.
- Lead external dialogues with food companies about how nature-based climate solutions will impact Scope 3 climate programs.
- Research agricultural technology trends to align our principles with the new crediting systems the agricultural technology industry is employing.
- Participate in a multidisciplinary team working on a high-profile program within EDF.
- Participates in advancing EDF DEI goals in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected, included, and empowered to address the environmental and organizational challenges in alignment with EDF values.
- Bachelor’s degree and at least six years of related experience, or a master’s degree and at least four years of related experience.
- Self-starter, detail oriented, well-organized, and able to plan and execute projects from conception to completion.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Strong strategic thinking and analytical skills.
- Demonstrated ability to learn quickly and apply new concepts to strategic planning and recommendations.
- Ability to translate scientific and technical concepts for private sector audiences.
- Demonstrated capacity to bring constituents together toward a common goal, build strategic relationships, and successfully advocate for environmental issues.
- Understanding or coursework in GHG accounting principles, carbon credits, and Scope 3 accounting.
- Ability to work on multiple projects concurrently, both independently and as a member of teams in a dynamic and creative environment.
- Ability to verbally and orally articulate and advocate for programmatic priorities among small groups and in formal presentations.
- Demonstrates self-awareness, cultural competency and inclusivity, and ability to work with colleagues and stakeholders across diverse cultures and backgrounds.
- Ability to travel up to 25% of the time (post-COVID), including potential international travel.
- Prior experience working with or advocating to food and agriculture sectors, including both companies across the supply chain and/or agricultural technology firms.
- Knowledge of common GHG accounting protocols within the agricultural and forestry sectors.
- Knowledge of major trends and challenges to implementing sustainability in agricultural supply chains.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.Apply