With world attention on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. By focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches, we tackle urgent threats with practical solutions. We are one of the world’s largest environmental organizations, with more than two million members and a staff of approximately 700 scientists, economists, policy experts, and other professionals around the world. We operate in 22 geographies with unique projects running across four programs. You will be part of a vibrant workplace that welcomes diverse perspectives, talents and contributions, where innovation and results are a way of life.
EDF envisions a world in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected to the environmental challenges we face and are engaged in creating durable, equitable solutions. We seek talented candidates who share the Core Values that allow us to experiment courageously in our work while staying true to who we’ve been as an organization for 50 years. Are you a results oriented individual who is passionate about creating environmental solutions that make a lasting difference in the world? Do you respect diverse perspectives, talents and contributions? Do you value innovation and enjoy designing and using a wide range of problem-solving tools? Do you embrace environmental goals with a sense of optimism while taking into account real-world dynamics? If you have integrity and a strong desire to uphold a commitment to science, rigorous analysis, intellectual honesty and ethical action, then EDF is the place for you.
Manager, EDF +Business
EDF+ Business pioneered the NGO/corporate partnership model, and over the past twenty-five years has worked with leading companies to reduce the environmental impacts of products and services and incorporate environmental considerations into business decisions. Our projects are designed to achieve significant environmental results, generate business benefits for our corporate partners, and create new industry-wide best practices. For more information on our work and examples of past and current partnerships, visit https://business.edf.org/.
EDF’s Climate and Energy Innovation team is focused on accelerating climate action by companies through innovative solutions, such as new technologies, supply chain strategies, and participation in environmental markets in order to meet and achieve net zero goals.
The Manager will lead relationship management with key corporate partners and facilitate the development and deployment of innovative market-based climate solutions. S/he will focus on our global climate solutions, including participation in carbon markets, like CORSIA, and the purchase of high-quality credits, as part of a company’s portfolio of emissions reductions strategies. The Manager will contribute to the creation of a strategy with EDF’s Global Climate team, as well as assist in goal setting and project implementation with partners that aligns with EDF’s strategic plan on corporate climate engagement.
In particular, the Manager will work with our corporate partners to identify the best innovative market solutions as a part of a company’s climate action portfolio, and to assess opportunities for engagement on other topics of EDF’s work. The Manager will lead the project management of EDF’s work with partners in the airline, technology or service industries, as well as lead engagement with the World Economic Forum on Nature Based Solutions, Aviation and other areas. The Manager will also engage other key stakeholders across a variety of industries as needed to support corporate actions on climate investments in carbon offsets, carbon storage and sequestration technologies, and on-the-ground projects. This incumbent could represent EDF at broad multi-stakeholder discussions and dialogues. In addition, s/he will complete research and analysis on corporate environmental trends and prospects for expanding strategic efforts with target companies.
Specifically, the Manager will be responsible for the following:
Project Implementation and Relationship Management (60%)
- Manage the day-to-day execution of our work with partner companies and lighter-touch work with other companies to advance EDF’s programmatic goals;
- Work with senior +Business staff and the Global Climate team to further develop and refine the strategy for engagement and success in the aviation industry;
- Pursue and continue to develop collaborative relationships with companies looking to create diverse climate strategies, foster connections between projects and other major players in the aviation space, and continually drive collaborating companies towards ambitious environmental goals;
- Work with senior +Business staff and the Global Climate team to identify and develop strategic relationships with key stakeholders and partners to advance our market-focused work;
- Working with consultants, manage execution of EDF’s efforts to facilitate multi-stakeholder collaboration to ensure High Quality Offsets in the Voluntary Offset Market while advancing regulatory efforts and ensuring real greenhouse gas reductions;
- Identify creative initiatives to further expand our partners’ work on being industry leaders and help them to push beyond their comfortable commitments;
- Develop and execute work plans, negotiate project agreements and scopes of work, identify necessary resources, and manage project work and deliverables.
Strategy Development and Deployment and Team Management (40%)
- Work with the Managing Director of Climate and Energy Innovation to execute on program goals and strategy;
- Ensure smooth interactions with other +Business project teams that maximizes the environmental outcomes for EDF partners by identifying new opportunities;
- Build relationships internal and external to EDF that establish the Manager as an expert and leader on corporate offsetting and broader solutions for corporate climate portfolios, including natural climate solutions, with the purpose of multiplying the impact of our outreach and the success of collaborations;
- Maintain expert knowledge of the scope and breadth of the program’s activities to participate effectively in science team, policy team, and communications team discussions;
- Create thought leadership pieces that reinforce EDF knowledge and experience with our corporate partners.
We are seeking a very organized individual with experience in corporate sustainability and relationship management who has an understanding of climate and environmental markets. In addition, general qualifications for this position are:
- Master’s degree in the field of business, environment or policy and three to five years work experience in project and relationship management, or five to seven years work experience in lieu of an advanced degree;
- Experience working in environmental markets, carbon markets, or supply chain investments from a corporate perspective, with a preference for experience working in carbon accounting or climate accountability;
- An understanding of the US and international carbon markets (voluntary and compliance), including key actors and opportunities; experience in or knowledge of corporate climate investment opportunities, offsets, renewable energy credits, and climate accounting is strongly preferred
- A working knowledge of the current theory and practice of corporate sustainability and the role business can play in solving environmental problems;
- Experience facilitating multi-stakeholder collaborations a plus;
- Exceptional personal organization and attention to detail;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and the ability to work with colleagues and partners of varied backgrounds and experience;
- Strong research and analytical skills and experience in performing rigorous analysis in support of highly visible work;
- Strong negotiation skills and experience managing multiple work streams and team coordination.
- Ability to adapt quickly to new situations and changing demands;
- Ability to work both independently and as a member of small teams.
- Please attach a cover letter as part of your application.
Note: This role requires 20% travel to conferences and relevant corporate partner locations.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.Apply