With world attention focused on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. This leading green group, with programs from Boston to Beijing, has tripled in size over the past decade by focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches. You can be part of a vibrant workplace that welcomes diverse perspectives, talents and contributions, where innovation and a focus on results are a way of life.
Reporting to the Director of Events Management, the Senior Manager, Donor Events develops and implements strategy, as well as overseeing the planning, execution and follow-up for donor events. The Senior Manager, Donor Events also manages logistical planning and execution of board meetings for EDF and Environmental Defense Fund Action Fund (EDAF). This position is be responsible for ensuring a smooth flow of event logistics including (but not limited to): scheduling, reserving venues, arranging for catering and audiovisual services as required, overseeing invitation design, coordinating invitation distribution and mailings, monitoring responses, assisting with speaker prep, recruitment and direction of staff volunteers working on events (as needed), reporting, as well as providing tools for post-event follow-up for the Development department. The Senior Manager, Donor Events oversees the project plan for the Events Team functions associated with these events, and coordinates with other team members to ensure that all assignments are completed.
Contacts and Communication:
The Senior Manager, Donor Events has regularly scheduled meetings with the Director of Events Management, works with the Director, Board Relations to develop the work plan for Board meetings logistics, and provides Board meeting preparation status updates to the President’s Chief of Staff and the Director, Board Relations as needed. The Senior Manager, Donor Events is also in regular contact with donor managers, program staff and their assistants develop concepts and programming for events, and to coordinate event scheduling, and has interactions with donors and other event attendees.
Responsibility and Accountability:
- Conduct site inspections for Board meeting destinations, including off-site meeting facilities, hotels, and venues for meals and other functions, oversee the preparation of venue cost comparison analyses and make recommendations to the Director of Events Management, Chief of Staff or Director, Board Relations, as appropriate.
- Manage pre- and on-site logistical arrangements for donor events, Board meetings and other functions with limited direction from Director of Events Management, including post-event follow-up with vendors and processing invoices as needed, with assistance from Events Team staff.
- Support frontline fundraisers for donor cultivation, stewardship and engagement events including (but not limited to) program briefings, trustee- and donor-hosted events, board meetings and others, working on strategy for meeting these goals with the Director of Events Management.
- Collaborate with Development and Program staff to identify opportunities for events that will advance the organizational fundraising and program agendas.
- Working with Events Team colleagues, maintain department records of individual events including attendees, copy of invitations and invited guests, agenda, seating charts, staff wrap-up notes and follow-up action.
- Coordinate the follow-up with donor managers for Development event attendees, ensuring that tools are available allowing all prospects to receive the appropriate treatment.
Knowledge, Skills, Education, and Experience
The successful candidate is:
- Bachelor’s Degree.
- A creative thinker with proven ability to produce and manage multiple events at one time.
- A self-starter, detail oriented, well- organized and able to plan and execute events from conception to completion.
- Has excellent communication skills, good judgment and discretion, and the ability to successfully interact with donors, Trustees, guest speakers and staff at all levels of the organization.
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, C-Vent, and Common Ground. At times, extended work hours, weekends and travel will be required.
- Have 5 years or more event planning experience
- Donor cultivation travel or elite travel planning experience preferred
Due to the volume of employment applications and queries received, EDF is unable to respond to each application individually. Applicants will be contacted directly if selected as a candidate.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant’s qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.
We offer a strong total rewards package encompassing competitive salary, robust benefits, and professional development opportunities consistent with a modern global organization.Apply