Manager, Climate Risk and Insurance
The Economics Team ensures that environmental policy advanced by EDF is underpinned by sound economic thinking. Within the organization, the Economics Team works across all of EDF’s workstreams providing thought leadership and economic analysis. Outside the organization, the team maintains relationships with leading environmental economists and key stakeholders (including policymakers) to ensure that the best available knowledge is used to advance EDF policy.
Term:This is a 1 year fixed term contract position.
The Economics team at EDF seeks a highly motivated, exceptionally organized, and analytically rigorous manager to provide project management support and research capacity for several new initiatives at EDF at the intersection of risk transfer markets and climate change. The Manager will primarily provide research and policy analysis support, and will have some project management duties. They will also oversee, plan, organize and communicate around several related projects. These projects will cross multiple teams at EDF and thus require a high level of organization on the part of the manager. In addition to data analysis and qualitative research, the role may also involve coordinating meetings, managing relationships, tracking action items, and serving as a point of contact for internal and external partners.
This role will report to the Associate Vice President for Economics and Policy. The position will work with other EDF experts across multiple teams, as well as partners in academia and the public and private sector. The role will require limited travel to meetings and workshops.
- Work independently and with other team members on policy analysis and both quantitative and qualitative research studies including literature reviews, case studies, data cleaning and analysis, data visualization, interviews, or use of other qualitative methods.
- Lead research and policy analysis.
- Lead writing of externally facing reports and other publications, help with high level program strategy, and represent EDF with high-level external partners.
- Collaborate with other members of the team and with external partners on related economic and policy work.
- Participate in advancing EDF Diversity, Equity & Inclusion goals in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected, included, and empowered to address the environmental and organizational challenges in alignment with EDF values.
- Apply excellent organizational, communication, and planning skills in preparing correspondence and reports, responding to requests for information, and helping to coordinate activities among staff members.
- Manage the planning of meetings, including preparing agendas, taking notes, and following up on action items.
- Manage the organizing of meetings, workshops, and events with external collaborators.
- Track progress on projects using project management software, task lists, and timelines.
- Manage thought leadership on these topics through a wide range of publication types.
- Engage with a variety of stakeholders to solicit expertise and respond to inquiries.
- Represent EDF professionally at meetings and workshops, as needed.
- Additional relevant responsibilities as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in economics, risk management, public policy, or a closely related field, with at least 6 years of relevant experience. Master’s degree or equivalent may substitute for up to 2 years of relevant experience. Ph.D. or equivalent may substitute for up to 4 years of relevant experience.
- Demonstrated background in insurance and risk transfer, risk management, climate adaptation, and/or climate resilience. Background in insurance and climate change preferred.
- Prior research experience and excellent analytical skills.
- Demonstrated ability to conceive of, plan, and manage the implementation of complex projects in support of programmatic goals.
- Demonstrates self-awareness, cultural competency and inclusivity, and ability to work with colleagues and stakeholders across diverse cultures and backgrounds.
- Highly proficient in Excel, with some familiarity with statistical analysis software, such as R preferred.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to manage projects and participate in research efforts that include collaboration with and/or supervision of outside experts and consultants.
- Must be well organized, motivated, and detail oriented.
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize and meet deadlines.
- Ability to work independently, using independent judgment and initiative to plan, prioritize, problem solve, and organize workload in a fast-paced environment. Demonstrate initiative and problem-solving skills.
- Demonstrated ability to support a multi-disciplinary team, using independent judgment required to plan, prioritize, and organize a diversified workload.
- Demonstrate initiative and problem-solving skills.
Please include a Cover Letter and individually authored writing sample with your submission.
We offer a strong total rewards package encompassing competitive salary, robust benefits, and professional development opportunities consistent with a modern global organization. We take into account factors such as candidate experience, skills, training, internal team equity and local norms.
Please note that pay ranges are country specific. As a result, the stated currency is not meant be converted into any other currency.
Put your passion and skills to work for the planet. Climate change is the most urgent issue of our time, and we need people like you to help us build a vital Earth — for everyone.
We’re Environmental Defense Fund, a fast-paced nonprofit with a growing staff of more than 1,000 people in nearly 30 countries. We deliver game-changing solutions that cut climate pollution and strengthen people’s ability to thrive despite the effects climate change is already having. We work wherever we can have the most impact, from local communities to top companies to governments worldwide, and even in space.