Put your passion and skills to work for the planet. Climate change is the most urgent issue of our time, and we need people like you to help us build a vital Earth — for everyone.
We’re Environmental Defense Fund, a fast-paced nonprofit with a growing staff of more than 1,000 people in nearly 30 countries. We deliver game-changing solutions that cut climate pollution and strengthen people’s ability to thrive despite the effects climate change is already having. We work wherever we can have the most impact, from local communities to top companies to governments worldwide, and even in space.
Our culture, values and commitment to diversity make EDF an exciting and meaningful place to work. Every job here makes a difference. Won’t you join us?
Major Gifts Officer
Location: West Coast only
This is a unique opportunity for a development professional with success in individual major gifts fundraising to become part of the development team at one of the nation’s premier environmental organizations.
The Major Gifts Officer will be part of an international development team responsible for generating over $81 million in annual major gifts, with plans to double that amount in the coming years. This position will be responsible for managing a portfolio of around 150 donors and prospects. Working closely with senior professionals in the development department and program staff, the Major Gifts Officer is expected to identify, cultivate, solicit, and steward individuals in support of Environmental Defense Fund’s national and international agenda.
The Major Gifts Officer will report to the Senior Director of Major Gifts.
- Execute a strategic plan for increasing the revenue generated from donors in portfolio with a concentration on six figure gifts.
- Assist in setting and meeting annual income goals for major gifts prospects in portfolio.
- Design and implement overall engagement and fundraising strategies as part of the development team, in order to continue the exponential growth of revenue coming from individual gifts.
- Identify, cultivate and steward major gifts prospects with an identified gift level of $25,000 and up.
- Qualify prospects and determine whether appropriate for major gifts.
- Meet one-on-one with prospects/donors and coordinate program staff and volunteers in the cultivation and solicitation of major gifts prospects/donors.
- Staff meetings and appropriately brief program staff for meetings.
- Effectively represent and articulate the work of EDF, presenting a compelling case for support of the organization.
- Stay abreast of changes and innovations in federal and state tax laws that may be relevant to major gifts prospects.
- Oversee the drafting and editing of proposals and reports for potential donors, working closely with the donor communications department to ensure there are compelling, visionary program ideas to present to donors and prospects.
- Participate in advancing EDF DEI goals in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected, included, and empowered to address the environmental and organizational challenges in alignment with EDF values.
- Assist other development officers on special projects or efforts that contribute to the organization’s large development goals.
The ideal candidate will possess the following:
- Demonstrated success as a front-line fundraiser.
- Well-honed skills in developing donor cultivation and solicitation strategies.
- A commitment to Environmental Defense Fund’s mission and values.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills; a high level of comfort with direct donor interaction, including discussions of personal and family finances.
- Well-developed communication skills, including excellent writing ability and public speaking skills.
- Knowledge of and ability to use fundraising databases.
- Creativity, energy, confidence, and integrity. High level of discretion and respect for donor privacy.
- Initiative and independence combined with the ability to work well as part of team.
- Demonstrates self-awareness, cultural competency and inclusivity, and ability to work with colleagues and stakeholders across diverse cultures and backgrounds.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university.
- A valid driver’s license and ability to drive.
- Willingness to travel out of state.
We offer a strong total rewards package encompassing competitive salary, robust benefits, and professional development opportunities consistent with a modern global organization.
The pay range for this role is 90,000 - 100,000 USD which takes into account factors such as candidate experience, skills, training, internal team equity and local norms.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.Apply