With world attention on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. By focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches, we tackle urgent threats with practical solutions. We are one of the world’s largest environmental organizations, with more than two million members and a staff of approximately 630 scientists, economists, policy experts, and other professionals around the world. We operate in 22 geographies with unique projects running across four programs. You will be part of a vibrant workplace that welcomes diverse perspectives, talents and contributions, where innovation and results are a way of life.
This is a unique opportunity for a development professional with success in individual major gifts fundraising to become part of the development team at one of the nation’s premier environmental organizations.
The Major Gifts Officer will be part of a national development team responsible for generating over $81 million in annual major gifts, with plans to double that amount in the coming years. S/he will be responsible for managing a portfolio of up to 150 donors and prospects nationally. Working closely with senior professionals in the national development department and program staff, the Major Gifts Officer is expected to identify, cultivate, solicit, and steward individuals in support of Environmental Defense Fund’s national and international agenda.
The Major Gifts Officer will report to the Director of Major Gifts in California.
- Execute a strategic plan for increasing the revenue generated from donors in portfolio with a concentration on five and six figure gifts.
- Design and implement overall engagement and fundraising strategies as part of the national development team in order to continue the exponential growth of revenue coming from individual gifts.
- Identify, cultivate and steward major gifts prospects with an identified gift level of $25,000 and up. Qualify prospects and determine whether appropriate for major gifts.
- Meet one-on-one with prospects/donors and coordinate program staff and volunteers in the cultivation and solicitation of major gifts prospects. Staff meetings and appropriately brief program staff for meetings.
- Effectively represent and articulate the work of EDF, presenting a compelling case for support of the organization.
- Stay abreast of changes and innovations in federal and state tax laws that may be relevant to major gifts prospects.
- Oversee the drafting and editing of proposals and reports for potential donors, working closely with the donor communications department to ensure there are compelling, visionary program ideas to present to donors and prospects.
- Assist in setting and meeting annual income goals for major gifts prospects in portfolio.
- Assist other development officers on special projects or efforts that contribute to the organization’s larger regional and national development goals.
The ideal candidate will possess the following:
- Demonstrated success as a front-line fundraiser
- Well-honed skills in developing donor cultivation and solicitation strategies
- A commitment to Environmental Defense Fund’s mission and values
- Outstanding interpersonal skills; a high level of comfort with direct donor interaction, including discussions of personal and family finances
- Well-developed communication skills, including excellent writing ability and public speaking skills
- Knowledge of and ability to use fundraising databases
- Creativity, energy, confidence, and integrity. High level of discretion and respect for donor privacy
- Initiative and independence combined with the ability to work well as part of team
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university
- A valid driver’s license and ability to drive
- Willingness to travel out of state
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.Apply