With world attention focused on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. This leading green group, with programs from Boston to Beijing, has tripled in size over the past decade by focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches. You can be part of a vibrant workplace that welcomes diverse perspectives, talents, and contributions, where innovation and a focus on results are a way of life.
Environmental Defense Fund is seeking a highly qualified and deeply motivated legal fellow to work on projects related to legal and regulatory advocacy aimed to secure effective greenhouse gas mitigation and cleaner air, with a focus on reducing health-harming and climate-destabilizing emissions from the transportation sector. The Legal Fellow works in a high-intensity, fast-paced, multi-disciplinary setting to formulate and implement strategies, laws, and policies.
The work ranges from participation in strategy sessions about legal arguments that will be most effective in a specific briefing effort to intensive legal research and writing on cutting-edge environmental law questions to the development of comments to advocate for and defend protective environmental standards.
Previous legal fellows have researched, written, and presented legal and policy documents for federal court litigation, national and state regulatory proceedings, and various policy venues. Current legal fellows have been deeply engaged in D.C. Circuit litigation over greenhouse gas and toxic air pollution regulation under the Clean Air Act; litigation defending landmark climate programs; and major national and regional policy initiatives on air quality and climate change.
We seek recent law school graduates interested in working on cutting edge regional, national, and international climate and air quality issues. Other qualifications include:
- Licensed to practice law or actively seeking admission to a Bar, with background in environmental and administrative law.
- Ability to collect, analyze, and apply data and prepare reports of findings.
- Excellent legal research, analytical, writing and advocacy skills.
- Establishes and maintains strong working relationships with internal and external allies.
- Results-oriented, self-starter with the ability to think strategically and work on fast-paced, dynamic issues.
- Ability to work both independently and as a leader or member of teams in a dynamic and creative environment with colleagues and partners of varied background and experience. Able to prioritize and be flexible.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Computer proficiency, experience with Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
February 2018 – January 2019
Full-time (35 hours/week)
This position will be located in the Boulder, CO office
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter, legal writing sample (of 5,000 words or less), resume, references, and law school transcript.
Due to the volume of employment applications and queries received, EDF is unable to respond to each application individually. Applicants will be contacted directly if selected as a candidate.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant’s qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.