With world attention on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. By focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches, we tackle urgent threats with practical solutions. We are one of the world’s largest environmental organizations, with more than two million members and a staff of approximately 630 scientists, economists, policy experts, and other professionals around the world. We operate in 22 geographies with unique projects running across four programs. You will be part of a vibrant workplace that welcomes diverse perspectives, talents and contributions, where innovation and results are a way of life.
- Strategic thinking and strategy development.
- Ability to manage and implement that strategy.
- Work to ensure smart and effective oil and gas methane regulations are developed and implemented in key jurisdictions.
- Analyze and monitor the progress of relevant rules or laws related to air emissions.
- Prepare detailed regulatory proposals, policy briefs, and legal analyses, and comments in response to proposed regulations and legislation.
- Represent EDF, as needed and directed, in front of policy-makers, regulators or other key thought leaders; participate in coalitions, stakeholder meetings or other relevant external forums.
- Work in close collaboration with EDF’s regulatory/legal, science, policy and communications teams. Collaborate, as appropriate with EDF partners and coalition members.
- Develop and manage relationships among external partners, government officials, oil and gas companies, technology providers and scientists, with the goal ensuring that project results are scientifically and technically rigorous, solution-oriented, actionable and timely.
We are seeking an experienced manager with a deep understanding of oil and gas regulatory policy, strong policy skills and a proven background of effective advocacy around complex technical issues.
- Minimum five years’ experience in the corporate, public, consulting, academic or non-profit sectors, including demonstrated ability to understand oil and gas operations and emissions management, managing complex projects and working with external partners to achieve program goals.
- Previous regulatory and policy experience working on oil and gas issues is strongly preferred.
- Experience with regulatory policy and processes required.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, particularly the ability to translate highly technical/scientific information for non-experts. A writing sample and/or sample work product will be required as part of the interview process.
- Ability to work with colleagues and partners of varied backgrounds and experience.
- Exceptional organizational skills and attention to detail.
- An ability to work both independently and as part of a team in a fast-paced, dynamic, and entrepreneurial environment.
- Ability to travel outside of the U.S. extensively.
- Fluency (reading, writing and speaking) in at least one language besides English required.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant’s qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.