With world attention on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. By focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches, we tackle urgent threats with practical solutions. We are one of the world’s largest environmental organizations, with more than two million members and a staff of approximately 700 scientists, economists, policy experts, and other professionals around the world. We operate in 22 geographies with unique projects running across four programs. You will be part of a vibrant workplace that welcomes diverse perspectives, talents and contributions, where innovation and results are a way of life.
EDF envisions a world in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected to the environmental challenges we face and are engaged in creating durable, equitable solutions. We seek talented candidates who share the Core Values that allow us to experiment courageously in our work while staying true to who we’ve been as an organization for 50 years. Are you a results oriented individual who is passionate about creating environmental solutions that make a lasting difference in the world? Do you respect diverse perspectives, talents and contributions? Do you value innovation and enjoy designing and using a wide range of problem-solving tools? Do you embrace environmental goals with a sense of optimism while taking into account real-world dynamics? If you have integrity and a strong desire to uphold a commitment to science, rigorous analysis, intellectual honesty and ethical action, then EDF is the place for you.
The Internal Communications team at EDF strives to foster a strong, healthy culture and create stronger organizational cohesion and sense of community through storytelling and staff engagement. As a member of the Marketing and Communications team, you will collaborate with all levels of the organization to identify the breaking news and exciting stories worth sharing. Your focus will be coming up with creative and innovative ways to inform, inspire and engage staff on a range of workplace topics, including stories about our work as well as programmatic and process changes.
The Internal Communications Specialist will report to the Senior Manager, Internal Communications.
- Develop, write, and edit engaging communications for distribution to all staff across internal channels, including our intranet, email, and Slack.
- Build relationships with internal stakeholders and help them tell the stories of their work.
- Ensure that intranet content is fresh, relevant and up to date.
- Support Human Resources, IT, and Operations departments, ensuring that their internal communication messages are effective, and reach the intended audiences.
- Draft recurring communications series, including new hire, anniversaries, retirements, and the monthly alumni newsletter.
- Analyze data gathered from internal channels to assess what content is working.
- Constantly look for ways to inspire fellow employees, be it through stories, videos, contests, or other types of creative content.
- 3+ years of internal communications and/or relevant experience.
- Strong writing skills and a fun, accessible writing style.
- Ruthless about economical word use and meticulous about accuracy and grammar.
- Proven experience transforming complex intellectual, scientific, or academic material into compelling content; ability to understand nuanced material.
- Project management, ability to balance many projects and manage tight timelines.
- Pro-active and independent, yet thrives working collaboratively, and responsively.
- Experience cultivating relationships with stakeholders at all levels of an organization.
- Proficient at photo selection and basic photo editing.
- Experience with Drupal or similar CMS platforms, basic HTML a plus.
- Familiarity with internal platforms such as Slack.
- A fun and creative approach to seemingly traditional projects.
- Other desired skills include: Community management experience, Photoshop and PowerPoint proficiency, and video production and editing skills.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.Apply