With world attention on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. By focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches, we tackle urgent threats with practical solutions. We are one of the world’s largest environmental organizations, with more than two million members and a staff of approximately 700 scientists, economists, policy experts, and other professionals around the world. We operate in 22 geographies with unique projects running across four programs. You will be part of a vibrant workplace that welcomes diverse perspectives, talents and contributions, where innovation and results are a way of life.
EDF envisions a world in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected to the environmental challenges we face and are engaged in creating durable, equitable solutions. We seek talented candidates who share the Core Values that allow us to experiment courageously in our work while staying true to who we’ve been as an organization for 50 years. Are you a results oriented individual who is passionate about creating environmental solutions that make a lasting difference in the world? Do you respect diverse perspectives, talents and contributions? Do you value innovation and enjoy designing and using a wide range of problem-solving tools? Do you embrace environmental goals with a sense of optimism while taking into account real-world dynamics? If you have integrity and a strong desire to uphold a commitment to science, rigorous analysis, intellectual honesty and ethical action, then EDF is the place for you.
EDF offers internships and fellowships for students and recent graduates in a variety of programs and departments throughout the organization. The ultimate goal of our internship and fellowship program is to provide high-quality experiences (including relevant projects and opportunities for networking) that form the foundation for any individual who is serious about pursuing an environmental career.
Defend Our Future, an initiative of EDF, is empowering young people to change the politics around climate change so we can make progress on the most important environmental issue of our time. Defend Our Future is building a diverse, nationwide movement of student leaders, social justice and environmental activists, artists, actors, comedians, companies and others who support action on climate to protect the most vulnerable communities, public health and
the environment for future generations.
As a Defend Our Future intern, you will be supporting a small team within EDF and contributing to multiple projects throughout the summer of 2020. You will be working alongside experts in grassroots organizing, voter mobilization, political and issue campaigns, and traditional and online communications.
Some of the tasks you will perform include preparing blog and social media posts, supporting the Defend Our Future campus ambassador program, editing reports and proposals, research, outreach to allied organizations and event coordination. You will have opportunities to gain new experience working alongside a diverse array of experts of a leading environmental organization, and to network at events in the Washington, DC region.
- Tasks will include but are not limited to:
- Participate in Hill-facing activities like office visits, drops and hearings.
- Support Defend Our Future campus ambassador and business engagement programs.
- Draft and edit copy for social media, website, blogs, emails and other materials.
- Coordinate and staff events including fly-ins and training sessions.
- Diverse partnerships engagement.
- Perform research for Defend Our Future and Political Affairs team, as needed.
- Provide administrative support, as needed.
- Demonstrated interest in or experience with working for an environmental organization, or political or issue campaign.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office.
- Familiarity with popular social media including Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
- Familiarity with graphic design platforms such as Canva is a plus.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Must be well organized, motivated, and detail-oriented.
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize and meet deadlines.
- Ability to work in a team setting and have the ability to work independently when projects are due.
- Demonstrate initiative and problem solving skills.
10 weeks during the summer
Full-time (35 hours/week)
This internship would involve either compensation for work paid at a rate competitive with leading non-profits or academic credit. Students are encouraged to seek academic credit or funding through their college/university and EDF will ensure that any and all paperwork needed to secure academic credit is completed.
Interested applicants should attach their cover letter and resume to the EDF application, together with references and a writing sample (no more than two pages).
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.Apply