Put your passion and skills to work for the planet. Climate change is the most urgent issue of our time, and we need people like you to help us build a vital Earth — for everyone.
We’re Environmental Defense Fund, a fast-paced nonprofit with a growing staff of more than 850 people in nearly 30 countries. We deliver game-changing solutions that cut climate pollution and strengthen people’s ability to thrive despite the effects climate change is already having. We work wherever we can have the most impact, from local communities to top companies to governments worldwide, and even in space.
MethaneSAT, LLC, an affiliate of Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is launching a new, high performance, purpose-built satellite—MethaneSAT—to map and measure oil and gas methane emissions worldwide, with the potential to assess emissions from the full range of man-made sources. The satellite will enable us to gather methane emissions data on a global scale and with data from other sources, locate and quantify these emissions. Data from MethaneSAT will help EDF reduce methane emissions by 45% by 2025 and holds the potential to help reduce the temperature of our planet by as much 0.5 degrees C by the end of the century. This could be the most impactful environmental project yet conceived.
As an Infrastructure Software Engineer on our team, you’ll work with fellow engineers, partners and stakeholders to design, automate and manage the deployments of both our Mission Operations and Processing Pipeline infrastructure. You will strive to understand user needs and engineering requirements, and utilize your expertise with Terraform, Linux and Cloud infrastructure, to design solutions that provide impact worldwide.
You will be deeply involved in infrastructure configuration, services used and the deployment of Processing Platform and Mission Operations System environments, including environments for development and staging, used both internally and externally. You’ll also contribute significantly to the overall design, maintenance and expansion of our build infrastructure, all while looking for opportunities to create tools and processes to make the developer experience at MethaneSAT better.
The Infrastructure Software Engineer will report directly to the Sr. Engineering Director, Data Products for MethaneSAT, LLC, and will work closely with other MethaneSAT, LLC staff, key contractors, and EDF staff.
- Work with our Lead Infrastructure Engineer on the design and development of deployment procedures of all MethaneSAT Data Platform infrastructure to cloud environments with Terraform and other tools as appropriate.
- Build robust, scalable cloud infrastructure, utilizing both cloud-native services and purpose-built components, gathering requirements from both our stakeholders and your fellow engineers.
- Create tools and documentation to make development easier for the team, our stakeholders and select partner organizations.
- Design, build, maintain and troubleshoot our development, staging and build environments.
- Develop on-call procedures and playbooks and tools. Share on-call rotation with your fellow engineering team members.
- Explore and recommend related initiatives such as metrics, logging and load testing.
- Navigate differing needs and priorities effectively, leveraging experience and technical skills to build and execute against detailed roadmap and engineering plan-of-record.
- Participate in advancing EDF DEI goals in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected, included, and empowered to address the environmental and organizational challenges in alignment with EDF values.
- Bachelor’s degree in a science or technical discipline preferred and 2 to 4 years professional engineering experience in a DevOps or SRE (site reliability engineering) capacity with demonstrated progressive responsibility and scope.
- Must be a US person (citizen, green card holder); MethaneSAT, LLC is unable to offer employer-based sponsorship for this role at this time.
- Professional experience writing Terraform code, using Git for source code management and the Linux command line for server administration required.
- Professional, production experience deploying and managing cloud infrastructure required.
- Experience with managed Kubernetes (EKS, GKE, etc) strongly preferred.
- Scripting in Bash and familiarity writing and modifying Python code is required.
- Previous professional experience as a software engineer is strongly preferred.
- Basic networking experience required (e.g. subnets, NAT, firewall rules). More advanced networking experience (e.g. site-to-site VPN w/BGP) preferred.
- Ability to apply communication skills, oral and written, to convey ideas, results and lead others.
- Demonstrates self-awareness, cultural competency and inclusivity, and ability to work with colleagues and stakeholders across diverse cultures and backgrounds.
- Ability to translate complex science and technical information to non-scientists stakeholders.
- Demonstrated ability to strategically and independently recommend and determine approaches to completing projects and managing processes where precedents are not available.
- Strong ability to work independently on a multi-disciplinary team in a fast-paced work environment, using independent judgment required to plan, prioritize, and organize diversified workload.
Please include a Cover Letter with your submission.
We offer a strong total rewards package encompassing competitive salary, robust benefits, and professional development opportunities consistent with a modern global organization.
The pay range for this role is 110,000 - 124,000 USD which takes into account factors such as candidate experience, skills, training, internal team equity and local norms.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.Apply