With world attention on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. By focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches, we tackle urgent threats with practical solutions. We are one of the world’s largest environmental organizations, with more than two million members and a staff of approximately 700 scientists, economists, policy experts, and other professionals around the world. We operate in 22 geographies with unique projects running across four programs. You will be part of a vibrant workplace that welcomes diverse perspectives, talents and contributions, where innovation and results are a way of life.
EDF envisions a world in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected to the environmental challenges we face and are engaged in creating durable, equitable solutions. We seek talented candidates who share the Core Values that allow us to experiment courageously in our work while staying true to who we’ve been as an organization for 50 years. Are you a results oriented individual who is passionate about creating environmental solutions that make a lasting difference in the world? Do you respect diverse perspectives, talents and contributions? Do you value innovation and enjoy designing and using a wide range of problem-solving tools? Do you embrace environmental goals with a sense of optimism while taking into account real-world dynamics? If you have integrity and a strong desire to uphold a commitment to science, rigorous analysis, intellectual honesty and ethical action, then EDF is the place for you.
Highly-motivated and hands-on Human Resources Business Partner, Manager for our Beijing office who has a solid foundation in all functional aspects of Human Resources. The position reports to the Senior Director, Global Human Resources Business Partner, who is based in New York. The HR Manager will provide HR support to the Beijing Representative Office, handling all day-to-day generalist duties and playing a key role in developing and implementing HR strategies and initiatives aligned with the overall business strategy. The HR Manager will build the positive reputation of the department with employees, managers, and leadership and ensure that EDF values are upheld.
- Manage and maintain HR processes, policies, and procedures to support day-to-day operations in the Beijing Representative office (BRO).
- Serve as a key liaison and collaborator between the BRO and EDF's U.S. offices to build and strengthen our ongoing relationship.
- Serve as thought leader in HR, recommending improvement to policies, programs, and procedures to strengthen and optimize HR leadership and support in the BRO.
- Key facilitator in the full spectrum of the recruitment process: draft job descriptions, recruit (traditional sourcing and social media), and screen/interview/evaluate candidates, perform reference checks, conduct internal equity analysis, extend offers, and complete all required forms and documentation, with ongoing coordination with the U.S.-based headquarters.
- Support performance review program to ensure effectiveness, compliance and equity within the organization.
- Plan and conduct new employee orientation as needed.
- Plan and conduct employee training based on staff requirements
- Conduct employee exit interviews, complete appropriate forms and provide feedback to supervisors.
- Provide assistance to staff regarding employee relations. Counsel employees concerning work-related issues, as well as interpreting and applying company policies, practices, benefits, salary changes, etc.
- Identify opportunities for increased effectiveness of current and diversity outreach recruiting programs.
- Utilize HRIS and applicant tracking system (Workday and iCims).
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience
Bachelor's degree or equivalent.
At least 6+ years of relevant work experience in human resources, preferably in a small firm or a not-for profit organization
Verbal and written bilingual fluency in both Mandarin and English is a must.
Knowledge of best practices from other organizations.
Positive, respectful attitude and ability to remain flexible in a growing environment.
Strong global cultural competency
Excellent organizational, interpersonal and communication skills (written and oral).
Experience working with confidential information and ability to navigate through sensitive issues and propose resolutions.
Self-starter with high energy; ability to work independently and as part of a team.
Experience working with a remote manager in different time zones.
Knowledge of Chinese employment law.
Exceptional problem-solving skills with a strong attention to detail, excellent time management and organizational skills, project management ability, and the ability to prioritize work.
Big picture and forward thinker with ability to develop recommendations for improving and streamlining existing processes..
Strong follow-through skills and the ability to be the driving force behind the completion of HR projects..
Proficiency in DingTalk, WeChat, and in the use of PCs and Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, etc.).
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.Apply