Put your passion and skills to work for the planet. Climate change is the most urgent issue of our time, and we need people like you to help us build a vital Earth — for everyone.
We’re Environmental Defense Fund, a fast-paced nonprofit with a growing staff of more than 850 people in nearly 30 countries. We deliver game-changing solutions that cut climate pollution and strengthen people’s ability to thrive despite the effects climate change is already having. We work wherever we can have the most impact, from local communities to top companies to governments worldwide, and even in space.
Human Resources Business Partner, Europe
Location: Brussels, Belgium
Hours: Full Time flexible/remote working
The HR Business Partner, Europe is a varied and challenging role for someone who wants to be the ‘go to’ person and a pro-active driver for all things HR. Based in Belgium, this role will deliver strong HR generalist service and ensure the smooth running of the local EDFE offices in Belgium, The Netherlands, Germany and the UK. This role is essential in supporting the growth of EDF in new offices within the European region. The HRBP will apply local Belgian and European HR knowledge to provide guidance and advice as the team grows.
- Deliver a high quality, proactive, consistent, customer-focused strategic HR service to directors, heads, and managers in the Belgium Office or any EDFE subsidiary across Europe
- Support management and employee capability across Europe to develop high performing teams
- Support and advise the organisation in maintaining compliance with Belgian, Dutch and German employment law
- Support the creation and development of BE, NL, DE workforce policies and procedures that maintain the legal compliance of statutory processes
- Apply knowledge to help problem-solve entry level enquiries with independent thinking, acting as a first point of contact
- Ensure that all of European HR processes lead to accurate workforce data that supports the monthly payroll process
- Oversee and own data and reporting from the HR database Workday, the payroll database (SD Worx), and time registration (Workday)
- Act as a trusted partner for employees and key stakeholders (Payroll Agency, Finance, IT, Corporate Services, Global Ops and especially HR)
- As an HR generalist, professionally handle:
- General personnel administration (social documents, certificates etc) and administration related to pension plan, Allianz medical care, Sodexo meal vouchers
- Application of changes to Joint Committee, labour and social laws as well as changes to internal procedures
- Development and update HR policies and procedures and ensure up-to-date best practice.
- Employment relations issues/process from investigation to completion, independently recommending approaches and solutions
- Support EU based recruitment. Draft job descriptions and conduct interviews in concert with Talent Acquisition colleagues
- Onboarding and induction process for new starters in Europe
- Support the relocation process, as well as long and/or short-term assignments in Europe for all employees
- Migration and visa advice for employees in Europe, managing the sponsorship process, and securing migration compliance
- Review and updates to our employment contracts and policies in line with Belgian & EU employment law
- Identify L&D needs across Europe, and develop and deliver team development programmes and support the annual performance evaluation process
- With the support of the Compensation team in the U.S., advise on local rewards and compensation strategies to ensure that the workforce is paid within relevant local market practice
- With the support of the Benefits Team in the U.S., advise on Belgian and European benefits
- Participate in advancing EDF Diversity, Equity and Inclusion goals in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected, included, and empowered to address the environmental and organizational challenges in alignment with EDF values
- Ensure compliance with GDPR requirements
Qualifications and Experience
- Equivalent CIPD Level 5 Diploma in People Management / Undergraduate studies in Human Resources Management or equivalent professional experience
- 4+ years of relevant HR Business Partner experience or equivalent professional experience
- A strong knowledge of Belgian and European social and labour legislation
- Extensive Belgian payroll process expertise
- Active participation in HRPRO.be, the association of HR Professionals in Belgium
- Strong knowledge and significant relevant experience managing HR operations, and delivering best practice, in an organization of similar size, culture and resource.
- Robust knowledge of Belgian employment law and practical handling/leading of issues such as disciplinary, grievance, capability, and redundancy.
- Demonstrate excellent knowledge and application of the Belgian social law and Joint Committee requirements
- Ability to apply knowledge of HR principles using professional HR and technical skills to achieve results in moderately complex assignments.
- Significant experience in contributing to HR policy
- Results-oriented self-starter with the ability to think strategically, prioritise and carry out responsibilities in a timely and effective manner.
- Ability to support a multi-disciplinary workforce, using independent judgment required to plan, prioritize, and organise diversified workload.
- Knowledge of health and safety law in relation to an office environment with recent experience managing Health and Safety processes
- Experience working closely and able to influence with all levels of the business and ability to work with colleagues and partners of varied backgrounds and experience.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Ability to deal with sensitive issues in a confidential manner
- Commitment to equal employment opportunity and to upholding the values of the Environmental Defense Fund Europe
- Demonstrates self-awareness, cultural competency and inclusivity, and ability to work with colleagues and stakeholders across diverse cultures and backgrounds
- Fluency in written and spoken English is essential
- Experience with Workday, iCIMS, Oracle NetSuite and/or SD Worx software is preferred
- Experience in matrix working environment a plus
- Commitment and interest in a long-term HR generalist career
- Proven record of experience working in the charity/not for profit sector is desirable
- Ability to speak French as an additional language is desirable
Must have the right to live and work in the EU when applying
The position will be based in Brussels, Belgium with periodic travel to the Netherlands and Germany. EDFE offers flexible working arrangements, with hybrid working from home and the option of shared office space in central Brussels.
Full Time, 38 hours per week
We offer a strong total rewards package encompassing competitive salary, robust benefits, and professional development opportunities consistent with a modern global organization.
The pay range for this role is 54,000 - 58,000 EUR which takes into account factors such as candidate experience, skills, training, internal team equity and local norms.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.Apply