With world attention on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. By focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches, we tackle urgent threats with practical solutions. We are one of the world’s largest environmental organizations, with more than two million members and a staff of approximately 630 scientists, economists, policy experts, and other professionals around the world. We operate in 22 geographies with unique projects running across four programs. You will be part of a vibrant workplace that welcomes diverse perspectives, talents and contributions, where innovation and results are a way of life.
Environmental Defense Fund Europe (EDFE) is an affiliate organisation of Environmental Defense Fund, a leading international non-profit organisation that creates transformative solutions to the most serious environmental problems. Since 1967, Environmental Defense Fund has used science, economics, law and innovative private-sector partnerships to bring a new voice for practical solutions. Hallmarks of Environmental Defense Fund Europe’s approach include:
- Working across the political spectrum
- Presenting a positive vision
- Investing in science and data analysis
- Using legal and economics expertise to design solutions
- Working with strategic partners across all sectors.
You can find full details of our programmatic goals in our European strategic plan: Forging Solutions in Europe.
A varied and challenging role for someone who wants to be the ‘go to’ person and a pro-active driver for all things HR. Your role will be to deliver strong HR service and to ensure the smooth running of the local EDFE office. Additionally, you will provide HR support to the different countries where EDF has activities, such as Spain, Norway, the Netherlands, and Germany. You will be a key player in the establishment of new business in the European region. You will also coordinate closely with the relevant services at our parent organisation EDF, i.e. HR, operations and corporate, that are run out of our U.S. offices.
- Deliver a high quality, proactive, consistent, customer-focused strategic HR service to directors, heads, and managers in the UK Office or any EDFE Subsidiary.
- Build management and employee capability across Europe to develop high performing teams
- Maintain and ensure the organisation is compliant with employment law in different locations.
- Develop and update HR policies and procedures and ensure up-to-date best practice.
- Advise Executive Director on HR issues.
- Effectively manage employment relations issues/process from investigation to completion, supporting managers on all issues in Europe.
- Manage and advise on recruitment. Draft job descriptions, post advertisements, and conduct interviews for a variety of different roles in the region.
- Manage onboarding and induction process for new starters in Europe.
- Support the relocation process, as well as long and/or short-term assignments in Europe for all employees. This can include housing, banking, moving arrangements, etc.
- Migration and visa advice for employees in Europe, managing the sponsorship process, and securing migration compliance.
- Identify, in collaboration with the Learning and Development team, the L&D needs across Europe, and develop and deliver team development programmes.
- With the support of the Total Rewards team in the U.S., manage and advise on rewards and compensation strategies.
- With the support of the U.S. Total Rewards Team, manage European benefits and maintain relationships and negotiations with different benefits brokers.
- Support the annual performance evaluation process.
- Provide assistance to employees and answer any questions regarding HR policies, procedures, issues, or concerns.
- Manage the relationship with our 3rd party payroll provider, supervising the payroll monthly reports and deadlines in our calendar year. Keep control of absence, vacations in Workday and internal system control.
- Support the different programs in employees cost simulation for European tenders or as per request.
Qualifications and Experience
- Strong knowledge and significant relevant experience managing HR operations, and delivering best practice, in an organization of similar size, culture and resource.
- Robust knowledge of UK employment law and practical handling/leading of issues such as disciplinary, grievance, capability, and redundancy.
- Strong experience in all aspects of recruitment, interviews and internships.
- Results-oriented self-starter with the ability to think strategically and carry out responsibilities in a timely and effective manner.
- Exceptional personal organisation and attention to detail.
- Ability to support a multi-disciplinary team, using independent judgment required to plan, prioritize, and organise diversified workload.
- Advanced computer proficiency.
- Knowledge of health and safety law in relation to an office environment with recent experience managing Health and Safety processes
- Experience working closely with all levels of the business and ability to work with colleagues and partners of varied backgrounds and experience.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Ability to deal with sensitive issues in a confidential manner
- Ability to negotiate and influence.
- Excellent organisational and prioritisation skills, ability to meet tight deadlines with an occasionally demanding workload.
- Excellent attention to detail and accuracy.
- Proactive and uses initiative.
- Commitment to equal opportunity employment and to upholding the values of the Environmental Defense Fund Europe
- CIPD qualification or working towards
- Experience in both charity and the environmental sector would be an advantage.
The position will be based in the European office in central London.
1 year - Maternity coverage
Competitive and commensurate with experience
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.Apply