With world attention on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. By focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches, we tackle urgent threats with practical solutions. We are one of the world’s largest environmental organizations, with more than two million members and a staff of approximately 700 scientists, economists, policy experts, and other professionals around the world. We operate in 22 geographies with unique projects running across four programs. You will be part of a vibrant workplace where innovation and results are a way of life.
EDF envisions a world in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected to the environmental challenges we face and are engaged in creating durable, equitable solutions. We seek talented candidates who share our Core Values of Respect, Results, Innovation, Optimism, and Integrity, and support our Commitment to Diversity.
The Intern and Fellowship Program Lead will develop, manage, and maintain all aspects of EDF’s Intern and Fellowship Programs. The Lead will support programs and departments in securing the best available diverse talent, cultivate strong partnerships with academic institutions, expand internal and external resources to support the programs, and collaborate with hiring managers to provide a top-notch learning experience for interns and fellows. Levering strong relationship building and project management skills, this position will lead high volume recruitment and onboarding for EDF’s Summer Intern program, recruitment throughout the year for Spring/Fall Interns and Fellowships and ongoing project management / process improvements. This position collaborates with and coordinates working groups across EDF and HR. This role directly impacts the experiences of 100+ Interns and Fellows across Programs and Functions each year.
This position reports to the Director, Human Resources Business Partner.
- Manage the EDF Internship and Fellowship Programs including onboarding, funding, partnerships, and recruitment from job sites and university programs
- Identify, build, and expand relationships with academic partners and serve as main point of contact through internship/fellowship engagements
- Draft job descriptions, screen/interview/evaluate candidates, perform reference checks, extend offers, and oversee and facilitate onboarding and offboarding processes including ensuring all required documentation is completed
- Build relationships with hiring managers and support them throughout the hiring process, internship, and offboarding of their intern(s); manage intern engagement changes
- Oversee management of the EDF Intern Ambassadors, including identifying, engaging, and inspiring ambassadors, designating team leaders, and managing events budget
- Develop strategies, policies, and procedures that brand EDF as an employer of choice; attend and represent EDF at career fairs and other relevant events as appropriate to develop EDF’s brand and programs
- Identify opportunities for increased effectiveness of diversity outreach programs
- Collaborate with colleagues to develop a structured learning program that includes brown bag lunches, relevant training sessions and lunches with our President
- Seek and assess management and program feedback including exit survey results, formulate and implement recommended program and process improvements
- Apply excellent organizational, communication, and planning skills by responding to requests for information, helping to coordinate activities and projects and preparing communications and reports as needed
- Participates in advancing EDF DEI goals in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected, included, and empowered to address the experiences feel connected, included, and empowered to address the environmental and organizational challenges in alignment with EDF values.
- Utilize HRIS and applicant tracking systems (i.e., Workday, iCIMS)
- Keep abreast of relevant EEO guidelines, human resources legislation and regulations, and changes in the human resources field
- Additional relevant responsibilities as assigned
- At least 4-5 years’ relevant experience in fast-paced environment with experience managing internship/fellowship or similar program preferred
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Demonstrated ability to cultivate effective relationships with diverse internal and external stakeholders
- Interviewing skills and candidate placement; knowledge of academic/university recruitment preferred
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to interface well with all programs/departments in the organization and with colleagues and partners of varied backgrounds and to represent EDF in a highly professional manner
- Strong project management skills and knowledge of the use of related systems and tools such as SmartSheets, Podio, Asana, etc. and ability to learn new systems in a fast-paced environment; project management certification a plus
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to take initiative, work independently, juggle multiple tasks and deadlines, and work effectively under pressure with high attention to detail
- Experience with managing budgets/funding allocations
- Position requires demonstrated poise, tact, and diplomacy; must be comfortable handling confidential and sensitive information
- Passion, enthusiasm, and ability to influence and lead others; strong customer service mindset and abilities
- Proficiency in MS Word, Excel, and Outlook; knowledge of HRIS and applicant tracking systems
- Demonstrates self-awareness, cultural competency and inclusivity, and ability to work with colleagues and stakeholders across diverse cultures and backgrounds
- Ability to travel, around 5-10%
- Interest in environmental advocacy and EDF’s mission
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.Apply