Environmental Defense Fund Europe is an affiliate of Environmental Defense Fund, a leading international non-profit organisation that creates transformative solutions to the most serious environmental problems. With programs from Boston to Beijing, Environmental Defense Fund has tripled in size over the past decade by focusing on strong science, economics, market-based approaches, and innovative private-sector partnerships.
Environmental Defense Fund Europe is three years old, led by Executive Director Baroness Worthington. We bring a fresh new voice to Europe, being science and data led, working across the political spectrum and focusing on pragmatic solutions. Our strategic plan Forging Solutions in Europe sets out our current goals and priorities. You can be part of a vibrant workplace that welcomes diverse perspectives, talents and contributions, where innovation and a focus on results are a way of life.
We are seeking to recruit our first senior communications manager to carry out a mix of communications and external affairs responsibilities for the Executive Director. This role will develop communications plans and media outreach strategies that help EDF Europe achieve its goals and drive the Executive Director’s profile as a thought leader in Europe. Our audience is global business leaders and influencers, politicians, government officials, policy experts, and potential donors. The Head of Communications will help create and exploit our own communication channels and be agile in responding to external opportunities.
This position requires an understanding of international issues, cultures, and influences in Europe. The successful candidate will have a pre-existing network of contacts (media, graphic designers) and possess outstanding communication skills. The position requires the ability to build effective relationships internally and externally to gather and present information in compelling ways. Reporting to the VP of Communications, this person will write, edit, and produce a range of communications materials and secure positive media coverage in top-tier national and international outlets.
- Serve as the principal communications liaison for the Executive Director with programme and department staff working on our focus areas: Climate and Clean Energy, Oil & Gas, and Health
- Identify global business leaders and influencers, politicians, government officials, policy experts and potential donors and the channels that reach them
- Help develop, refine and execute a communications plan for Europe
- Identify high-level speaking opportunities for the Executive Director
- Work with programmes and departments to write, refine and publicise our research, briefing materials, speeches, op-eds, reactions, blogs and other materials
- Focus on top-tier national and international media outlets and develop a system for keeping them updated; arrange media interviews for the Executive Director and other senior staff and prepare quarterly reports of our media coverage
- Monitor and report on our output, coverage and progress towards our communication goals
- Work closely with the programmes, Executive Director and Digital Management Team to develop a social media plan; distribute a steady stream of news and information about our work to key audiences
- Bachelor’s degree with a minimum of eight years professional experience, preferably in environmental media and/or in a political or issue advocacy context
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills and the ability to write and edit polished, publishable articles and opinion pieces
- Knowledge of media; established contacts with reporters and editors
- Knowledge of European business community leaders and influencers, politics and policy landscape
- Excellent organisational skills, including ability to handle and prioritise multiple tasks and meet deadlines
- Proven ability to integrate and coordinate communications efforts across an organization
- Meticulous attention to detail
- A team player and with the ability to work independently with light supervision.
- Willingness to travel in Europe and internationally
- A real passion for making a difference in the world
- Relevant policy knowledge in the areas of climate change, energy and air quality
- Creative flair
- Digital design skills
- Language skills
- Experience of working for an international/transatlantic organisation
In Europe, ideally London, but with options to explore other major European capitals, e.g. Berlin, Amsterdam, Brussels.
Please include a cover letter for further consideration.