Put your passion and skills to work for the planet. Climate change is the most urgent issue of our time, and we need people like you to help us build a vital Earth — for everyone.
We’re Environmental Defense Fund, a fast-paced nonprofit with a growing staff of more than 1,000 people in nearly 30 countries. We deliver game-changing solutions that cut climate pollution and strengthen people’s ability to thrive despite the effects climate change is already having. We work wherever we can have the most impact, from local communities to top companies to governments worldwide, and even in space.
Our culture, values and commitment to diversity make EDF an exciting and meaningful place to work. Every job here makes a difference. Won’t you join us?
The Government Grants Officer will be part of the global Government Partnerships team within EDF’s Development Department, focused on the strategic development and management of high-level government relationships and awards. Reporting to the Senior Government Grants Officer, the Government Grants Officer will partner with senior staff across the organization to successfully solicit, steward, and support the cultivation of a portfolio of government funders that increasingly provides significant support for EDF to carry out its worldwide mission. This position will focus on raising funds through awards from U.S. government sources to support EDF’s domestic work in the U.S.
- Serve as an integral contributing member of a team that secures and stewards 6-8 figure awards from new and existing government sources. This entails a range of strategic activities, including but not limited to:
- Identifying and evaluating public funding opportunities, providing strategic guidance to Mission teams on alignment/fit, eligibility, and competitiveness.
- Working with Mission staff to conceptualize, prepare, and submit responsive and competitive proposals, reports, and other communications materials.
- Managing a portfolio of government funders, serving as a liaison and informational contact between EDF and funding agency staff.
- Preparing materials for funder meetings and participating in meetings as appropriate.
- Contributing to accurate funder and income/projections information in Salesforce database.
- Develop and maintain strong knowledge of EDF’s programmatic work to independently and effectively represent, through both written and oral communications, a wide array of local, regional, national, and global environmental programs.
- Maintain extensive internal communication with the Development Department, Mission, Finance, and Operations staff, and at times the Executive team.
- Actively contribute to the Government Partnerships and Development teams as they seek to improve best practices and procedures and develop new cultivation strategies and tools.
- As appropriate, delegate to and oversee work of Government Partnerships support staff.
- Participate in advancing EDF DEI goals in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected, included, and empowered to address the environmental and organizational challenges in alignment with EDF values.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university required.
- Minimum of six years of demonstrated success in non-profit fundraising, including securing and stewarding awards from government sources such as the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA); U.S. Department of Energy (DOE); U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA); National Science Foundation (NSF); National Academy of Sciences; state and local agencies; foundations; etc.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to convey complex ideas clearly and concisely.
- Deep knowledge of priorities, trends, and donor requirements in the government funding arena.
- Knowledge of environmental issues strongly preferred; ability to quickly grasp and translate complicated subject matter required.
- Sound strategic and analytical skills and excellent attention to detail.
- Exceptional planning and project management skills; experience working with a team to successfully manage multiple projects with competing timelines.
- Experience critically reviewing budgets and financial information.
- High degree of proficiency working in a fast-paced, flexible, goal-oriented and entrepreneurial environment, with the highest level of personal and professional integrity. Experience working in a non-profit institution of comparable complexity and scale, including the ability to work effectively with geographically dispersed colleagues, is preferred.
- Excellent judgement and interpersonal skills, including the ability to maintain tact, diplomacy, and confidentiality while representing the organization and interfacing with all levels of staff at EDF’s national and affiliate offices, as well as with funders, partners, and vendors.
- Demonstrates self-awareness, cultural competency and inclusivity, and ability to work with colleagues and stakeholders across diverse cultures and backgrounds.
- Strong ability to actively listen and deftly navigate and manage relationships.
- Ability to work well under pressure, adapt easily to changing situations/priorities, and maintain grace, humor, and compassion.
- Strong computer literacy, including Word, Excel, Outlook and donor management databases.
- An understanding of, and commitment to, Environmental Defense Fund’s mission.
- Ability to travel as needed and to occasionally work outside standard business hours to accommodate EDF’s globally distributed staff.
We offer a strong total rewards package encompassing competitive salary, robust benefits, and professional development opportunities consistent with a modern global organization.
The pay range for this role is 89,000 - 99,000 USD which takes into account factors such as candidate experience, skills, training, internal team equity and local norms.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.Apply